K98 miss firing.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > K98 miss firing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default K98 miss firing.

I've got a K98 Muaser, given to me by my best friend for a wedding gift.After many days at my local range getting to know it. I took it to Camp Perry to shoot in the CMP matches and it started miss firing. Needless to say I bowed out of the compitition. When I got home, I broke it down, the fireing pin looked good, the spring looked a little worn so I replaced it. Still wouldn't fire all rounds, I then replaced the pin just in case, and it still only fires about half the rounds I put in it. Could this be the ammo I'm using? Or a problem I'm just too close to see? The head space seems right, there's no damage to any brass shot through,and no tell tale sights to make me think it might be off.
Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Striker channel in the bolt. Very likely gummed up. I see this in all sorts of semi-auto handguns and high round count bolt actions (mil surps) Remove the striker and flush the inside of the bolt with gun scrubber. Use a bore brush to scrub the heck out of it. Follow up with a bore mop or slotted tip and patches. Use a flashlight to visually inspect the interior to insure it is spotless. Reassemble, but leave dry. Oil is the main culprit here. Brass shavings are the second concern.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Ammo? Reloads, surplus?
Primer strikes on ones that fail to fire. Deep or shallow?
Inside of bolt. When you first got it it was ok. After you shot it a lot some crud could have broken loose and is interfering with the firing pin.
That's all I got.
What Robo said.

Last edited by crazycharlie2; 01-14-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

I have to agree with them........

When all else fails.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #5

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

1950's Yugo ammo is notorious for miss fires. What kind of ammo?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #6

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

You might have to strike the round twice.

Chamber a round, fire. Click but no boom? Raise bolt handle but don't eject the round, just reset the pin, fire again.

I had a thousand rounds and I had to do this for every one. Kind of a PITA but it went boom.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #7

I had the same problem with an M-48. With various surplus ammo it would fail to fire 1 rd out of every 5.

I took the bolt apart, cleaned everything spotless, firing pin protrusion was spot on. I couldn't find anything to fix inside the bolt.

So I ordered a new heavier Wolff firing pin spring, (striker spring). Factory was rated at 20# so I bought a 26# spring to give it a little more force. Solved my problem, runs 100% now.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%26%20Shotguns/MAUSER/1898/cID2/mID40/dID175

This is just what I ran into, don't know if it would help your rifle? Need to know more about the type of ammo you were using like they asked above. Good luck, Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Last edited by kenhesr; 01-14-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spelig airer

Old 01-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #8

Thanks guys, heres what I've done so far. I've replaced the firing pin, replaced the spring with a 24# one, striped and cleaned until I'm blue in the face. The strike marks on the primers are deep, the same as on rounds that do fire. I've only got the current ammo that I bought at a gun shop, that was my next step, replace the ammo, but they only sell the Yugo stuff. So I'm waiting for some to come in the mail from Aim Surplus. I'll keep you all informed.
Thanks for the help guys. Truly appreciate it. I'll let you know what happens.

Those that do not study history are doomed to repeat it.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

If you are getting deep indents in the primers and they are not going bang...You have an ammo problem. When you say "Yugo" do you mean the modern PPU ammo? It generally has a good rep, but problems can occur. Bad batch of primers or improper storage can be the cause. I would take it up with the store you bought it from.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
If you are getting deep indents in the primers and they are not going bang...You have an ammo problem. When you say "Yugo" do you mean the modern PPU ammo? It generally has a good rep, but problems can occur. Bad batch of primers or improper storage can be the cause. I would take it up with the store you bought it from.
Nope I use surplus ammo in all my surplus guns lol. I'm thinkiing its the ammo also, I've got more ordered from Aim, but it takes a couple of days to get here, meanwhile I'm taking the remaining rounds back to the store where I got them.
Thanks for the great advice guys.

Those that do not study history are doomed to repeat it.