Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > k98 bore help/opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default k98 bore help/opinions

I just picked up my first k98 and am concerned about the bore condition. I have run brake cleaner, CLP, Hoppes thru it with a brush (my cleaning rod broke after 6 or so passes thru so I had to stop with the brush)and several patches and it doesn't look like it's improving too much.

Does this bore appear to be beyond saving? I need to make a decision whether to return it or not and look for something else.

Thanks for any help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

What colors are coming out on the patch, my friend?

Old 05-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

in the beginning the patches were typical dark brown and the last patch i ran thru came out greenish

Old 05-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Though you've done a good job with the pictures, it's hard to say without seeing it for real, so some random thoughts:

1) Shoot it. If it's deemed safe by a qualified gunsmith, try her out. The colors indicate fouling, but that's to be expected for a gun that probably went to war, had hundreds of rounds fire through it, and was cleaned by a guy who really didn't want to be there. Storage practices weren't always the best, either.

2) Decide what is acceptable to you. If you shoot it, and you are hitting paper, decide if it's enough for you. If you are expecting sub MOA hits at 500 meters, you may be asking too much. These are great rifles captured in a period of time before chrome lined, laser cut, computer approved barrels.

From what I can see, the bore looks decent. I would try some Windex, since alot of surplus ammo is corrosive, run a dry patch, and then some Break Free.
Other guys have other methods, but that has always worked for me, my friend.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I just picked up my new/old Mauser 98k (1938 vintage) yesterday and spent two hours cleaning the bore. The bore looked pretty dirty before I started, so I alternated brushing with a bronze bore brush and running solvent soaked patches. It took about 15 cycles of hard brush work followed by the solvent patches. After each cycle of brush work the first patches would be very black. After about 4 solvent/patch runs the patches would come out fairly clean. I repeated the brush work and each time the patches would come out black then clean up after about 4 patch runs. I repeated this alternating cycle until the first patches after brushing came out clean.

My bore looked pretty much like your photos before I started, and it looks MUCH better now. I am a bit unsure how to judge the condition of the rifling in the barrel. The lands/groves in this old weapon are quite different than in my other (modern) rifles. I am still waiting on delivery of my 8mm ammo (back-ordered from Cabelas) , so I can’t offer a range report just yet.

TXnorton

Old 05-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I have several old 98's and Enfields that look like yours, and they shoot fine.

If yours is safe to fire, and shoots OK, I'd keep it.