Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > k-98 tanker, which caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

1st off, no country would ever issue a pistol instead of a rifle. The Nazi's included. A broomhandle 96 was obselite at the start of WW2. German tank crews were given 1 K98, and 1 MP38 or 40. There is no such thing as a "Tanker Carbine". Mitchell is a piece meal house. Rebuild, reblue, refinish. Not true collectors or shooters. M48(a,or b) can be nice, but a M24/47 is a true shooter. All German Bolt rifles in WW2 were 8x57, my favorite cartridge. Maybe 7.62x54r is next. JP

Old 01-10-2008, 07:11 AM   #12

Well they did, sorry, the German Army was not armed in great depth, they pressed into service agood deal of obsolete weapons, the French 75 for example, and the C96 was no exception. The reason for using pistol carbine was exactly that, it was better than a pistol when exiting a tank,yet complact enough for storeage. In any case survival of tank crews was not high they may have had other uses. I appreciate you might not like this information but never the less I believe it to be true, I got it from the horses mouth.........

Old 01-10-2008, 07:16 AM   #13

Oh yes, you where right about the Mauser 98 Tanker carbine, and indeed some crews where issued MP38/38-40/40's. As a footnote until fairly recently Norway issued their tank crews surplus MP40's

Old 01-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #14

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Wow! Thank you guys! I was going to get a MM for my son but now I'll just shop the gun stores and shows. I believe you've saved me some $$$$.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Well they did, sorry, the German Army was not armed in great depth, they pressed into service agood deal of obsolete weapons, the French 75 for example, and the C96 was no exception. The reason for using pistol carbine was exactly that, it was better than a pistol when exiting a tank,yet complact enough for storeage. In any case survival of tank crews was not high they may have had other uses. I appreciate you might not like this information but never the less I believe it to be true, I got it from the horses mouth.........

Show Me! jp

Old 03-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #16

I worked with a cop in the North West of England for a number of years, Helmut Lange, he was German born, his father Hans Pieter Lange at 16 was a junior NCO and gunner in a SS Panzer Gruppe, and served with Pieper in the Ardennes Offensive. He was captured during the war and sent to the UK. If he is still alive you will find him in the BT telephone Directory for Huddesfield in the UK (international code: 0 11 44).

He was a nice guy and extremely open about his service, and for some years was a steward of a British Servicemen's club, he spoke to me about it a number of times and it was where I got the information.

I believe him and on serviving examples of Tigers and Panthers (UK National Tank Museum) have fixtures in the turrets consistant with the carrying of pistol carbines......... I you do not wish to accept my view thats fair enough you are of course intitled to your point of view, the matter is at an end.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2551 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Everything I have read and heard is that Mitchell's Mausers uses the "Tanker" name to sell products that are just run of the mill rifles. Kinda like "Tanker" Garands. Were there Garands in some tanks? Sure. The reality is some like to use "Cool" sounding names to sell products to an unsuspecting clientel. "Tactical" is the modern equivalent. To be cool, it must be tactical. 15 years ago it had to be black to be "tacticool". Now it has to be digital cammo. Some people just have to have the coolest latest crap available. I see guys at the range with their tacticool AR's with every accessory under the sun that cannot hold a group or clear a malfunction to save their lives. Kind of like the guy that gets the Corvette L-6 or Hayabusa that has no driving (riding) skills. Freaking idiots. Tacticool, Tanker, Supercharged, 180 mph tools for the tool with a little tool!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I worked with a cop in the North West of England for a number of years, Helmut Lange, he was German born, his father Hans Pieter Lange at 16 was a junior NCO and gunner in a SS Panzer Gruppe, and served with Pieper in the Ardennes Offensive. He was captured during the war and sent to the UK. If he is still alive you will find him in the BT telephone Directory for Huddesfield in the UK (international code: 0 11 44).

He was a nice guy and extremely open about his service, and for some years was a steward of a British Servicemen's club, he spoke to me about it a number of times and it was where I got the information.

I believe him and on serviving examples of Tigers and Panthers (UK National Tank Museum) have fixtures in the turrets consistant with the carrying of pistol carbines......... I you do not wish to accept my view thats fair enough you are of course intitled to your point of view, the matter is at an end.
If I am incorrect, I appologize. as for Tanker 8x57, 30.06, no such animal existed beyond the test stage w/ the 30.06 M1. Any "Tanker" in the U.S. is bogus! JP

Old 06-03-2008, 11:41 PM   #19

Default Mauser tanker carbine

The Germans had no Mauser tanker carbine in WWII.The only Mauser carbine was the G33-40 used by mountain troops.I do not know of any country that had a tankers carbine.The US Garand"tanker carbine"M1E5 never went into production all prototypes except 3 were destroyed.

Dallas

Old 07-30-2008, 04:38 AM   #20

How about an excerpt from an MM ad in the July NRA magazine,
"American Rifleman"? Have also seen their well-illuminated rifles in "Shotgun News" ads.

This is a small bit from the NRA magazine, page 31: "...It bears original German markings that document its production in WWII Germany".

They are supposedly Yugoslavian versions of German guns. They are known to be fairly accurate, but their listed price of $400 is known to be quite inflated-they are not collector guns, that is, reportedly not authentic all-German rifles from WWII.
Misrepresentations happen a lot with guns, and MM supposedly had a low ranking with the BBB (Better Business Bureau), although this advertisement has the BBB logo-but what does that prove? Their rating is not published in the ad. The address indicates that they are in Fountain Valley, CA, 92728. Maybe somebody can visit the business for an inside look.

Also be aware that many authentic German Mausers were captured by Soviet troops and refurbished in that country. Even some authentic German Mauser production quality slipped a bit at the end of the war due to the conditions, based on research.