Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   k-98 tanker, which caliber? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/k-98-tanker-caliber-591/)

12gauge 05-24-2007 04:40 PM

k-98 tanker, which caliber?

mitchel mausers is offering a cute little carbine they're calling the m-63 which their claiming to be a tanker rifle. i was wondering:

1'st of all did the germans even use tanker rifles(i've heard of m-1 tanker rifles,whose authenticity is debateable)

2- which caliber is most accurate .243, .270, .308, 30-06 ,8mm

3- which of the above calibers would be easiest on recoil,keep in mind this is a carbine.

personaly i was thinking of either the .270 or 8mm(although i never shot an 8mm. i would like this because it's a mauser)

RONSERESURPLUS 05-25-2007 11:27 PM

K-98 Tanker, what Caliber?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I've been Buying Military rifles for year and you can do SOO Much Better than Mitchell? As for the Caliber or Validity of the Mitchell M-63, the Germans tried a lot of things, they Might have done a tanker design, the option that Mitchell found some and are selling them, tells me to wave the Full of CRa--P flag? LOL Mitchell is know for selling cleaned up versions of what SARCO, J&G, CENTURY ARMS and SOG have been selling for years! Plus they make the cost h like 400% more?? You should Look into a lot of what others say about Mitchell, so it's not just my opinion? They do sell quality stuff, But man do they screw you on the price! Thats my .02 cents, you'll have to see what works for you?

RON L

BLS33 05-29-2007 03:04 PM

I'm going to echo Ron here. Mitchell is a complete rip off. You can find much better deals with a bit of searching. Search around other gun forums and see what people have to say about em.

JoeLee 06-01-2007 09:25 PM

The Tanker Mauser was the design of the Yugoslavian Military after WW2.

Scriptoe 07-09-2007 09:40 PM

Don't buy a Mitchell. Buy a real mauser. Mitchells are reworked and Frankensteined together. Some even say the stocks are brand new made in a factory in America somewhere and stamped with the serial number of the reciever.

Get a real mauser.

FALPhil 07-10-2007 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scriptoe (Post 4186)
Get a real mauser.

Ditto. As cheap as real Mausers are, you'd be wasting money on anything else. I see M48s at gun shows these days for less than $150 out the door, and they look almost brand new.

yodar 07-11-2007 11:47 PM

YUGO's

Quote:

Originally Posted by FALPhil (Post 4200)
Ditto. As cheap as real Mausers are, you'd be wasting money on anything else. I see M48s at gun shows these days for less than $150 out the door, and they look almost brand new.

I got mine from century for $90.00, good metal, very good stock, bore strong but dark

Tho it's C & R it is a Kragujevic run of the mill gun of no specific value
It's intermediate length makes it a suitable candidate for conversion to my handloaded 7.62 x 39 to make it a pleasant shooter and not an 8mm shoulder beater-upper

although 8mm has been very cheap lately, tho it is drying up

yodar

Dutch 08-11-2007 12:39 AM

I considered a mitchells carbine until I ran into an original fn 1924 in 7mm mauser. I don't see a problem with their carbines. I think the 308 would be tough to beat, tho a 243 would definately be better for recoil. Accuracy would have more to do with the barrel than caliber imho.

wsmrto 12-29-2007 04:59 AM

MM are for those who don't know or care to know what they are paying for. Look for any of the short carbines such as the little argentine 1891, fn-24 or 24-30s, or the m-24 BRNO and you can have a nice collectable mauser that will be great shooter and an investment and even pass on to the next generation.

Boris 12-29-2007 06:21 PM

Panzer Crews

During the war German tank crews where often issued pistol carbines, the C96 and Luger 1917 pistols usually strapped to the bulkheads....... Not much room in a tank for even a short rifle...