Just ordered my Mosin!!! - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Just ordered my Mosin!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 03:01 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
That's a frikkin BEAUT!!!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Best advice I could give you for the bayo is to just carefully dremel it out 'til it fits right. They were designed to stay affixed to the gun, not so much for on and off. I've yet to shoot mine with the bayo attached, supposedly it does better as far as accuracy goes, something to do with barrel harmonics...or so I've read in a couple of places. I'm not good enough of a shot to spot a difference like that and I'm afraid if I put in on snug that I won't be able to get it off to fit in the safe without a hammer and prybar...

I see I'm not the only one who got a sling covered in goo!!
Ok, I'll give the dremel a try. I have it to where it will slide onto the barrel until it is almost to the end of the first slot, but it gets stuck after that.

I don't know if the goo on the sling was cosmoline, or what ever kind of oil used to be in the can, but it was sticky, smelly, and nasty. Pouring a little boiling water over it cleaned it up nicely. The oil can still had some oil in it too. That is some of the nastiest stuff I have ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierram37 View Post
Well I picked up my mosi this Wednesday, cleaned her all up, worked on the barrel which is not counter bored, clean crown. Fired the first two rounds this evening, one by me and one by my 15 year old. She's loud and the kick wasn't as bad as I expected. Already thinking about another. This one is a 1942 and all numbers match. Damn best $89 I ever spent for a piece of history. Time to order a couple cans of the cheap stuff.
Congrats. Sounds like money well spent.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #92
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Just take a tapered rod or punch and open the hole up, very simple. I put emery cloth on a dowell till I got smart.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #93

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

This makes me want a Mosin SO BAD. I would love to buy 6-7 of them and a few thousand rounds of ammo and call prepping for societal unrest DONE. A gun for every member of my family who will come to my house if the SHTF, and for under $100 a pop? Yea, I think so!

I wonder,

Is getting your C&R license worth it?

Old 03-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #94

Liked 1442 Times on 876 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_ View Post
This makes me want a Mosin SO BAD. I would love to buy 6-7 of them and a few thousand rounds of ammo and call prepping for societal unrest DONE. A gun for every member of my family who will come to my house if the SHTF, and for under $100 a pop? Yea, I think so!

I wonder,

Yes, if you are interested in Mosins, the C&R is just the ticket. It cost $30.00the Feds don't make you jump through too many hoops. You can save the cost on your first on-line purchase, and you can easily find 200 rifles for sale on any given day..

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 03-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
Just take a tapered rod or punch and open the hole up, very simple. I put emery cloth on a dowell till I got smart.
I don't really have a tapered rod that would work. I used the back of a body hammer (the back is basically a tapered rod), and it opened up the front a little, and made it easier to to slide the barrel through the back, but the part that is tight is in a hard to reach area (the tapered rod on the back of the body hammer won't reach this area at all). I'll have to either find a rod the same size as the barrel, out use a dremel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_ View Post

I wonder,

Yes. It can save you a lot of money. A transfer fee around here cost about $20. The C&R license cost $30 for three years. I will definitely get one when I turn 21.

The Mosins for SHTF is a good plan. Its a good cheap way to have enough guns for everyone, and have thousands of rounds of ammo for them.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:19 AM   #96

Well, I finally shot my mosin last weekend. The first time I shot it, I put 20 rounds down range. Only one actually hit the target (at 100 yards). The rest were about a foot above it. So I took a break, and worked on the bayonet until I finally got it to fit.
I shot 5 more rounds with the bayonet on, and 4 hit the target (I jerked the trigger on the 5th one, so it was my fault it missed ). I cannot believe how much that bayonet affects the rifle. With it on, it's a pretty accurate gun. I love it!!!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #97

What do you guys use to clean your mosin? I used hoppes, but it took forever. I also read somewhere that it doesn't get rid of the corrosive salts very well either. What should I use?

Old 03-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #98

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Well, I finally shot my mosin last weekend. The first time I shot it, I put 20 rounds down range. Only one actually hit the target (at 100 yards). The rest were about a foot above it. So I took a break, and worked on the bayonet until I finally got it to fit.
I shot 5 more rounds with the bayonet on, and 4 hit the target (I jerked the trigger on the 5th one, so it was my fault it missed ). I cannot believe how much that bayonet affects the rifle. With it on, it's a pretty accurate gun. I love it!!!
Sounds like a great day at the range!! So the bayo made that much difference huh? I'm gonna have to try that out...

Quote:
What do you guys use to clean your mosin? I used hoppes, but it took forever. I also read somewhere that it doesn't get rid of the corrosive salts very well either. What should I use?
Maybe c3 will chime in, thought I heard him say Hoppe's was made for cleaning the corrosive stuff...

He also says that hot, hot water will clean out the "salts" best...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #99
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5625 Times on 2940 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
I use hoppes its designed specifically to remove corrosive residue. I also use a very hot bucket of soapy water stick the muzzle in and use a nylon brush. Pulling the brush up and down pulls the hot water up the bore. Just be sure you dont have the stock on.

Then clean as normal and lube everything hit by the water.

the bolt still needs to be taken apart and cleaned with hoppes. If you dont the corrosives can transfer from the bolt to the rest of the gun during storage

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-27-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Sounds like a great day at the range!! So the bayo made that much difference huh? I'm gonna have to try that out...

Maybe c3 will chime in, thought I heard him say Hoppe's was made for cleaning the corrosive stuff...

He also says that hot, hot water will clean out the "salts" best...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I use hoppes its designed specifically to remove corrosive residue. I also use a very hot bucket of soapy water stick the muzzle in and use a nylon brush. Pulling the brush up and down pulls the hot water up the bore. Just be sure you dont have the stock on.

Then clean as normal and lube everything hit by the water.

the bolt still needs to be taken apart and cleaned with hoppes. If you dont the corrosives can transfer from the bolt to the rest of the gun during storage
I'll try the hot soapy water thing, and see how it works. Kind of sucks that I have to take the stock off for it though. That first band on the stock is a pain to get off.

Thanks for the advice guys.