Just ordered my Mosin!!! - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Just ordered my Mosin!!!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 03:01 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
That's a frikkin BEAUT!!!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Best advice I could give you for the bayo is to just carefully dremel it out 'til it fits right. They were designed to stay affixed to the gun, not so much for on and off. I've yet to shoot mine with the bayo attached, supposedly it does better as far as accuracy goes, something to do with barrel harmonics...or so I've read in a couple of places. I'm not good enough of a shot to spot a difference like that and I'm afraid if I put in on snug that I won't be able to get it off to fit in the safe without a hammer and prybar...

I see I'm not the only one who got a sling covered in goo!!
Ok, I'll give the dremel a try. I have it to where it will slide onto the barrel until it is almost to the end of the first slot, but it gets stuck after that.

I don't know if the goo on the sling was cosmoline, or what ever kind of oil used to be in the can, but it was sticky, smelly, and nasty. Pouring a little boiling water over it cleaned it up nicely. The oil can still had some oil in it too. That is some of the nastiest stuff I have ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierram37 View Post
Well I picked up my mosi this Wednesday, cleaned her all up, worked on the barrel which is not counter bored, clean crown. Fired the first two rounds this evening, one by me and one by my 15 year old. She's loud and the kick wasn't as bad as I expected. Already thinking about another. This one is a 1942 and all numbers match. Damn best $89 I ever spent for a piece of history. Time to order a couple cans of the cheap stuff.
Congrats. Sounds like money well spent.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #92
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dteed4094's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 777
Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default

Just take a tapered rod or punch and open the hole up, very simple. I put emery cloth on a dowell till I got smart.

__________________

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

dteed4094 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #93
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Todd_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 238
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

This makes me want a Mosin SO BAD. I would love to buy 6-7 of them and a few thousand rounds of ammo and call prepping for societal unrest DONE. A gun for every member of my family who will come to my house if the SHTF, and for under $100 a pop? Yea, I think so!

I wonder,

Is getting your C&R license worth it?

__________________
Todd_ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #94
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chainfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,584
Liked 1442 Times on 876 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_ View Post
This makes me want a Mosin SO BAD. I would love to buy 6-7 of them and a few thousand rounds of ammo and call prepping for societal unrest DONE. A gun for every member of my family who will come to my house if the SHTF, and for under $100 a pop? Yea, I think so!

I wonder,

Is getting your C&R license worth it?
Yes, if you are interested in Mosins, the C&R is just the ticket. It cost $30.00the Feds don't make you jump through too many hoops. You can save the cost on your first on-line purchase, and you can easily find 200 rifles for sale on any given day..
__________________

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Chainfire is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #95
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
Just take a tapered rod or punch and open the hole up, very simple. I put emery cloth on a dowell till I got smart.
I don't really have a tapered rod that would work. I used the back of a body hammer (the back is basically a tapered rod), and it opened up the front a little, and made it easier to to slide the barrel through the back, but the part that is tight is in a hard to reach area (the tapered rod on the back of the body hammer won't reach this area at all). I'll have to either find a rod the same size as the barrel, out use a dremel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_ View Post
This makes me want a Mosin SO BAD. I would love to buy 6-7 of them and a few thousand rounds of ammo and call prepping for societal unrest DONE. A gun for every member of my family who will come to my house if the SHTF, and for under $100 a pop? Yea, I think so!

I wonder,

Is getting your C&R license worth it?
Yes. It can save you a lot of money. A transfer fee around here cost about $20. The C&R license cost $30 for three years. I will definitely get one when I turn 21.

The Mosins for SHTF is a good plan. Its a good cheap way to have enough guns for everyone, and have thousands of rounds of ammo for them.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:19 AM   #96
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Well, I finally shot my mosin last weekend. The first time I shot it, I put 20 rounds down range. Only one actually hit the target (at 100 yards). The rest were about a foot above it. So I took a break, and worked on the bayonet until I finally got it to fit.
I shot 5 more rounds with the bayonet on, and 4 hit the target (I jerked the trigger on the 5th one, so it was my fault it missed ). I cannot believe how much that bayonet affects the rifle. With it on, it's a pretty accurate gun. I love it!!!

__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #97
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

What do you guys use to clean your mosin? I used hoppes, but it took forever. I also read somewhere that it doesn't get rid of the corrosive salts very well either. What should I use?

__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #98
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
vincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic NC
Posts: 4,122
Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Well, I finally shot my mosin last weekend. The first time I shot it, I put 20 rounds down range. Only one actually hit the target (at 100 yards). The rest were about a foot above it. So I took a break, and worked on the bayonet until I finally got it to fit.
I shot 5 more rounds with the bayonet on, and 4 hit the target (I jerked the trigger on the 5th one, so it was my fault it missed ). I cannot believe how much that bayonet affects the rifle. With it on, it's a pretty accurate gun. I love it!!!
Sounds like a great day at the range!! So the bayo made that much difference huh? I'm gonna have to try that out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
What do you guys use to clean your mosin? I used hoppes, but it took forever. I also read somewhere that it doesn't get rid of the corrosive salts very well either. What should I use?
Maybe c3 will chime in, thought I heard him say Hoppe's was made for cleaning the corrosive stuff...

He also says that hot, hot water will clean out the "salts" best...
__________________
Member NRA, GOA, GRNC, SAF, NAGR

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
vincent is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #99
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,536
Liked 5625 Times on 2940 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
What do you guys use to clean your mosin? I used hoppes, but it took forever. I also read somewhere that it doesn't get rid of the corrosive salts very well either. What should I use?
I use hoppes its designed specifically to remove corrosive residue. I also use a very hot bucket of soapy water stick the muzzle in and use a nylon brush. Pulling the brush up and down pulls the hot water up the bore. Just be sure you dont have the stock on.

Then clean as normal and lube everything hit by the water.

the bolt still needs to be taken apart and cleaned with hoppes. If you dont the corrosives can transfer from the bolt to the rest of the gun during storage
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...


Last edited by JonM; 03-27-2012 at 07:18 PM.
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #100
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Sounds like a great day at the range!! So the bayo made that much difference huh? I'm gonna have to try that out...



Maybe c3 will chime in, thought I heard him say Hoppe's was made for cleaning the corrosive stuff...

He also says that hot, hot water will clean out the "salts" best...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I use hoppes its designed specifically to remove corrosive residue. I also use a very hot bucket of soapy water stick the muzzle in and use a nylon brush. Pulling the brush up and down pulls the hot water up the bore. Just be sure you dont have the stock on.

Then clean as normal and lube everything hit by the water.

the bolt still needs to be taken apart and cleaned with hoppes. If you dont the corrosives can transfer from the bolt to the rest of the gun during storage
I'll try the hot soapy water thing, and see how it works. Kind of sucks that I have to take the stock off for it though. That first band on the stock is a pain to get off.

Thanks for the advice guys.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Just ordered tenntyrant AR-15 Discussion 4 11-01-2011 12:08 AM
Just ordered tenntyrant AR-15 Discussion 0 10-28-2011 01:13 AM
Ordered a new 9mm AR ArizonaLawman AR-15 Discussion 2 08-22-2011 01:16 PM
Just ordered one of these cddbrowns .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 6 06-18-2011 11:49 PM
Just ordered!! vjf915 General Rifle Discussion 20 03-17-2010 05:44 PM