Just looking for opinions

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Just looking for opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Just looking for opinions

I'm trying to put values on all my firearms so whoever has to deal with them when I'm gone will have some idea what they are worth. I'm using the 23rd edition of the Standard Catalog of Firearms and the 6th edition of the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms to set the values but some guns just don't really fit. I bought this gun at a gun show several years ago and the guy I got it from knew no history on it. Its obviously a 1903 Springfield set up for target shooting. Its marked "U.S. Springfield Armory model 1903 1520XXX on the receiver bridge. Behind the front sight the barrel is marked R.I.A above the flaming bomb (or flaming piss pot as we used to call it" with 1-19 below that. The stock is marked "SA SPG" on the left side below the rear sight. The rear sight is marked "Vaver Corp". The front sight is marked "Lyman 77". Trigger pull measures 2.75 lbs. According to the Serial number it was manufactured in 1938 or at least the reciever was and is probably a 1903A1. If anyone has any opinions or comments I would love to hear them.

Oh and that last guy was on my side porch last week. Thought it was pretty cool.

img_2758.jpg   img_2759.jpg   img_2763.jpg   img_2764.jpg   img_2765.jpg  

img_2767.jpg   img_2768.jpg   img_2757.jpg  

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Last edited by string1946; 01-24-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Is there a star stamped on the muzzle? How many lands and grooves?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2893 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

If you ever consider getting rid of it, I might be able to come up with a couple of bucks from the change jar.....

Seriously, with the stuff you have there, I would check this site out. They have a forum that could be of more help than me. Could it be part of the "unmatched National Match"?
http://m1903.com/

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Star gauged barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Is there a star stamped on the muzzle? How many lands and grooves?
I don't see a star anywhere on the barrel though I haven't pulled the handguard off to see if anything is under it. The barrel has 4 lands and grooves.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 02-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
If you ever consider getting rid of it, I might be able to come up with a couple of bucks from the change jar.....

Seriously, with the stuff you have there, I would check this site out. They have a forum that could be of more help than me. Could it be part of the "unmatched National Match"?
http://m1903.com/
Thanks. I'll do just that.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #6

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah.....I see that wise guy!

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling