jumped the gun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > jumped the gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 12:21 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8707 Times on 3767 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

Surplusrifle.com's Collecting and Shooting the Mauser c96 Broomhandle Pistol - HISTORY

Old 04-20-2009, 04:29 AM   #12

Sorry for the delay. I had trouble getting the size down to an acceptable level. The bolt is incomplete (for the photo) and the forend band retainer sring is not in place (once again, for the photo).

mausercrop.jpg  

Old 04-20-2009, 06:15 AM   #13

Good god....that's a damn good deal...300 for all of that?

Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #14

yeh, but I'm afraid I'll need a complete bolt as the pin is pretty buggerd from multiple dry firings (I'm guessing).

I don't know what the broom needs other than a puzzle master. That's a complicated piece!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #15

What you have is a commercial Mauser 98 bought by the Chinese more than likely during the 30's. That is a commercial Mauser banner on the top of the receiver and chinese writing on the side. Definitely not the Japanese imperial mum, that has 16 petals.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:25 AM   #16

so, does that make it special, rare, unique or none of the above?

Old 04-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #17

Well, it's a Chinese contract german made mauser patterned after the k98k and definitely not a chinese made version with questionable strength. The markings on the side are the chinese "sunburst", an acceptance stamp of the chinese. My understanding is these were bought by "Generallisimo" Chang Kai Shek and used in the war against Japan and later in the fight against communists. It has probably seen its share of fights. Overall, it's a quality built rifle with the Mauser name, enjoy it for what it is. As far as value I couldn't guess.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #18

so, as far as alteration, I shouldn't touch it? I just wanted to make it a target rifle and maybe bed the barrel and match the reciever & barrel do a blueprint job AND add a scope. Oh, and eliminate the rust. Do you think this would kill the value (monitary or historic)?

Old 04-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #19

As far as I'm concerned the only real value it has is what you place on it. When all is said and done the only thing left original will be the action from what you say. Are you planning on rebarreling? Getting a new stock? D&T for scope mount? Unless you plan on doing those things I wouldn't think it worth it to alter. Keep it as is for its history and curiousity value. Go get another more readily available surplus mauser and build that. Personally I'm partial to how it is now.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:56 AM   #20

I don't plan any mods, just a thorough blue-printing and maybe bedding the barrel. If it has no historic value I may change the barrel or add a scope. There is no way I'm getting brid of that stock!