Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > John Manton shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default John Manton shotgun

I found an old muzzel loading percussion cap double bbl shotgun while cleaning out a neighbor's shed. The lock is marked JOHN MANTON. Underside of barrels is marked with a crown stamp, the initials M & MR, and both barrels stamped 13, which i assume is the bore/guage. Does anyone know about this gun and if its worth anything?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #2

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

John Manton was one of the premier gun makers in London until 1834. A lot of cheap guns were made in Belgium and marked Manton or J. Manton. If the crown has ELG with it it was made in Belgium. If it is an original Manton it might be worth a little bit but percussion guns don't generally command a premium. Condition is everything.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #3

Thanks Hawg, since i made the post i have taken the shotgun to my local gunsmith. It is his opinion that the gun is an early, original John Manton, and it is in "skeleton" condition (meaning stock needs to be replaced). Its definately a "fixer upper". Im discovering the world of fine european doubles and will have this one brought back too life. Whether or not its worth anything doesnt matter, it will probably never leave my possession, my sons, or my grandsons.