Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   J&G.....shouldve waited..:/ (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/j-g-shouldve-waited-22610/)

m72law 01-25-2010 10:32 PM

J&G.....shouldve waited..:/

DAMN! J&G!....i placed an order with J&Gsales 2 days ago...they had the k98 mauser for 350.00 when i placed the order...my order wasnt shipped when i asked them about the price change....the price today is 299.95...asked if i could get this rifle at the 295.00 price...well,30mins. later i checked my order status with them on there website...now it says shipped!...& of course havent heard back from them...gaww!...i figured they would make it right being the order wasnt shipped & i have done alot of business with them in the past...but guess good things do come to those who wait?:confused:well if anyones looking for a k98 @ a decent price now!...check out J&G...:o

canebrake 01-25-2010 10:36 PM

Buy another one and ship the first one back!

m72law 01-25-2010 10:39 PM

good idea cane.....i thought about just canceling the order when i saw the price change and reorder it...but the wife has the plastic money with her and shes at work..:(depending on the condition this rifle is...i'll either do like ya say or keep it and just tell myself i got a good deal...being these rifles are hit or miss on condition and markings....

m72law 01-31-2010 03:30 AM

well i got my panties in a wad for nuttin....my k98 came yesterday,and when i got it out of the box the stock looked rough..but i notice that all the nazi proofs are there ''none are peened over anywhere!''wasnt much cosmo on the rifle and when i took out the bolt and looked in the bore...it was mirror,with no rust,no frosting,very strong riflings,& inside of barrel was almost spotless:)...also the receiver,bolt,barrel,stock all match(no forced match with pencil)..plus the blueing is atleast 90%...i dont know how it shoots yet but as soon as i get done refinishing the stock (laminated) i'll let ya'll know+i'll post some pics...as for the few markings on this rifle..42 1939 and BB im not sure of what plant it was made at?...if anyone has some m98 links for identifying codes & markings on k98's could ya let me know...thanks

p.s. when i looked at my invoice,J&G gave it to me at 300.00bucks...:D

jpattersonnh 01-31-2010 11:17 AM

Mauser, Obendorf.
Is there a number stamped on the Butt stock? An small X on the receiver(top or side)?

TXnorton 01-31-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m72law (Post 221763)
well i got my panties in a wad for nuttin....my k98 came yesterday,and when i got it out of the box the stock looked rough..but i notice that all the nazi proofs are there ''none are peened over anywhere!''wasnt much cosmo on the rifle and when i took out the bolt and looked in the bore...it was mirror,with no rust,no frosting,very strong riflings,& inside of barrel was almost spotless:)...also the receiver,bolt,barrel,stock all match(no forced match with pencil)..plus the blueing is atleast 90%...i dont know how it shoots yet but as soon as i get done refinishing the stock (laminated) i'll let ya'll know+i'll post some pics...as for the few markings on this rifle..42 1939 and BB im not sure of what plant it was made at?...if anyone has some m98 links for identifying codes & markings on k98's could ya let me know...thanks

p.s. when i looked at my invoice,J&G gave it to me at 300.00bucks...:D

72: I $100 paid more than you did and got a bit less. My 1938 98k looks great and has intact nazi makings, with all matching numbers, but the bore is anything but perfect! It will shoot good groups at 100 yards though, and that is satisfactory to me.

K98k manufacturer's codes - Waffenamt - 7,92 headstamp markings and lot numbers - P codes

Collecting and Shooting the German Mauser 98k (Karabiner 98k) - HISTORY

Firearms and Uniforms of the Wehrmacht

Watch out for the S&B ammo, it will kick like a horse!

My 98k was a Russian capture (Mitchell's Mausers - an impulse buy). I think that the supply on these 98K's must be drying up as I cannot believe the prices on all of the 98K's I saw at last week's big Houston gun show!

You got a very good deal - be happy!:D:D

jpattersonnh 01-31-2010 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=
Watch out for the S&B ammo, it will kick like a horse!

:D:D[/QUOTE]
That is because it is loaded to original spec. American ammo sucks.

m72law 01-31-2010 01:57 PM

yes jpatt...the numbers are on the butt stock...there is a small x on the side of the receiver?

TX...i've seen what these rifles can go for when everything is in great shape,& i wouldve payed a few more c-notes for this rifle...luck of the draw on my part i guess?...now if i could just get as lucky when i buy a few lotto tickets every week;)

thanks for the links..i will be checking them out as soon as i throw another coat of tru-oil on this stock..

i dont have any S&B ammo in 8mm mauser...but i am sitting on about 2k rds of yugo 50's & a crap load of reloads using 3006 cases:Dwhy is the S&B ammo so hot in 8mm?i have a few boxes & shot a few in 7.62x54r out of my m39's,m44's,91/30's & to me..they dont kick all that bad
thanks for the heads up on the S&Bammo

jpattersonnh 01-31-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m72law (Post 221918)
yes jpatt...the numbers are on the butt stock...there is a small x on the side of the receiver?

TX...i've seen what these rifles can go for when everything is in great shape,& i wouldve payed a few more c-notes for this rifle...luck of the draw on my part i guess?...now if i could just get as lucky when i buy a few lotto tickets every week;)

thanks for the links..i will be checking them out as soon as i throw another coat of tru-oil on this stock..

i dont have any S&B ammo in 8mm mauser...but i am sitting on about 2k rds of yugo 50's & a crap load of reloads using 3006 cases:Dwhy is the S&B ammo so hot in 8mm?i have a few boxes & shot a few in 7.62x54r out of my m39's,m44's,91/30's & to me..they dont kick all that bad
thanks for the heads up on the S&Bammo

A soviet rework w/ original bolt is odd. The soviets stamped the stocks, Germany did not. The X also signafies a Soviet capture. You still did very well. S&B is not "hot" ammo, just 196gr heavy ball loaded correctly. 147gr 8x57 Ss has conciderably less recoil. I settled on 175gr Sierra bullets for VG velocity and down range energy for hunting.