J&G Has Mosin M44s for a mere $149.00? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > J&G Has Mosin M44s for a mere $149.00?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2458 Times on 1594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post

I am curious how the UN 'arms treaty' will effect rifles like the Mosin?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the mosin is classified as an "anti-tank weapon" because armor piercing ammo was made in that caliber at one time. I'm not sure about this, so someone more knowledgable is welcome to step in.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #12

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

As promised, here are some quick snaps of the two new M44s. The top one is a 1944 Tula, the bottom, a 1945 Izhevsk. First image is with flash to show wood grain, the rest, I turned flash off, too much glare and I am just using my point and shoot camera, no way to bounce the flash to soften the glare so I just turned it off.

With Flash

Without Flash

Check out the difference in the small finger groove in the stock just to the right of the rear barrel band. Interesting, the one on top is Hungarian, the bottom, Russian.

1945 Izhevsk stock repair

1945 Izhevsk Butt Plate

1945 Izhevsk Bolt w lots of arsenal marks

1945 Izhevsk w Good old PW Arms Billboard

Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #13

1945 Izhevsk Receiver with some scrubbing/rust? Also lots of interesting arsenal marks

All numbers matched on the Izhevsk

Arsenal marks on stock, this rifle has been around, re-arsenaled many times it seems

1945 Izhevsk Bolt

1945 Izhevsk Bore - nice and shiny, non counterbored. Very happy with this, well worth the $30.00 bump

1944 Tula Bore - basically the same, non counterbored, nice and shiny also

1944 Tula Stock and Butt Plate. Here is where things get interesting with this rifle. A Hungarian stock on a 1944 Tula re-arsenal? Not unheard of but you don't expect to see a Hungarian stock on a Russian, it is usually the other way around.

1944 Tula - Also a Hungarian rear sight?

1944 Tula - Check out the receiver, pretty unusual font for "44"? I have not seen one like this and none of my other Mosins use this font

1944 Tula - Check out the sanding/scrubbing on the bolt knob. Pretty weird, I have not seen this before either.

Last edited by Capybara; 12-03-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #14

1945 Izhevsk - Little bit of rust on the trigger guard, or that could be dried cosmo? I will find out when I clean it.

1945 Izhevsk - Little bit of a rusted front barrel band. No big deal to me, but I am going to pull these from the stocks to look for rust and pitting underneath the stock. Interesting fore end repair

1944 Tula - It's a matching numbers gun except for the forced match floor plate

1945 Izhevsk - Lots of arsenal marks on the stock on this one, really, they appear everywhere. Wish I knew what all of them meant.

Overall, I am very happy with both of these. First Tula Mosin I have had, lots of interesting marks and history with both of these. The bolt on the Izhevsk is super smooth, almost loose, like many of my other M44s, the bolt on the Tula is a bit sticker and may require a cosmoline hunt once the barrel heats up.

Neither rifle has much in the way of cosmoline, just traces of it and some waxy storage grease that doesn't feel like cosmo.

Trigger on the Tula is gritty and has a lot of take up, trigger on the Izhevsk has a little less take up and is a lot smoother. Both rifles came with cleaning rod, oil can, Mosin tool and cleaning rod attachment. No slings or ammo pouches. Both came with the Molot little brochure.

Both rifles have what I think is the Molot stamp near the tang?

While both rifles are interesting, the Tula, in particular, with it's Hungarian stock and rear sight, weird font on the "44" on the receiver and the unusual symbol underneath it, seems to be a bit out of the ordinary. Anyone have any interesting knowledge or observations about either rifle?

So I paid $179.00 for the Izhevsk and $229.00 for the Tula. I feel as if these rifles were an excellent buy and I am happy and proud to add them to my collection.

Hope all of you who ordered do just as well.