J C Higgins 20ga
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > J C Higgins 20ga

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default J C Higgins 20ga

*** Ignore this thread... I posted the wrong info. Reposting in Shotgun thread***

Since I have had very little luck looking online I thought someone could tell me more than I know about this 20ga. Anything at all. No pic but I'll try to take and add one later.

It's a single 20ga with a slide safety where the hammer (it's hammerless) would be. It's stamped "J C Higgins and Tool Co". The only info that I ever found online was that "and Tool Co" was removed from the name in 1916. And I'm guessing this came from Sears and Roebuck. (before Roebuck got lost.) I would say the barrel is a full choke from the pattern it puts out. Yeah, I shot it a lot as a kid thinking it wasn't that old.

Thanks!

Last edited by BearsBoy; 05-20-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Wrong info

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2010, 03:55 AM   #2

The JC Higgins model 20 was manufactured by High Standard Firearms Company. The J.C. Higgins trade name was used by Sears, Roebuck & Company of Chicago. Seen lots of those guns when I was a kid.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:00 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9395 Times on 4049 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

The Model 20 was a 12 g pump made by High Standard- the Flite King-for Sears. Gent has a 20 g single shot. Different gun. Any other markings on it? And yes, JC Higgins was the Sears brand, just as Western Auto and Montgomery Ward had Revelation and Westernfield. Guns were made by Winchester, Marlin, Savage, Nobel, etc etc, but marked as JC Higgins. C&P for you on JC Higgins-

J.C. Higgins: 1908-1964

Many people ask if there was a real "J.C. Higgins" who worked for Sears. There certainly was. John Higgins began working for Sears in 1898 as the manager of the headquarters' office bookkeepers and retired as company comptroller in 1930.
"John Higgins" the employee became "J.C. Higgins" the brand name during a discussion in 1908 among Sears' executives of possible names for a new line of sporting goods. At this point, the story gets a bit murky, but Higgins' name was suggested and John Higgins consented to Sears use his name. Since he did not have a middle initial, Sears added the "C."

In 1908, the Western Sporting Goods Company in Chicago began putting J.C. Higgins on baseballs and baseball gloves sold in Sears catalogs. By 1910, the J.C. Higgins trademark was extended to cover footballs and basketballs. Later, the popularity of the Higgins brand—combined with the wider participation of American youth in sports—led Sears to place tennis equipment, soccer balls, volleyballs, boxing equipment and baseball uniforms in the J.C. Higgins line.

By the 1940s, J.C. Higgins represented all Sears fishing, boating and camping equipment. After the Second World War, Sears consolidated all sporting goods under the J.C. Higgins brand name and added it to a line of luggage.

The J.C. Higgins brand disappeared shortly after Sears introduced the Ted Williams brand of sporting and recreation goods in 1961.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 05-20-2010 at 05:04 AM.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9395 Times on 4049 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Oh- I forgot to say-

useless-without-pictures.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #5

Ah, good catch c3shooter, my mistake- oops. The OP's SG may have been made by Marlin for Sears. You covered everything else about the trade name. I remember going to Sears as a kid and getting lost in their "Sporting Goods" section...now-a-days Sear's Sporting Goods section is so small I have trouble finding it.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #6

I'll get off my butt tonight and get a few pics. I just had a thought and started this thread before getting my ducks in a row.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #7

Well, now I'm embarrassed. I haven't even looked at it in a couple of years. I pulled it out to photograph and it isn't a Higgins... it's a Stevens. My wife keeps telling me that I'm loosing it!

I'll just start a new thread with the correct info.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
The OP's SG may have been made by Marlin for Sears.
I'm having to retract this^^...Marlin only made 16 gauge shotguns for Sears & Roebuck.

BearsBoy, glad you found out what it is. Stevens are very good shotguns. If you need parts Numrich Gun Parts Corp. can help.

Last edited by UnderFire; 05-21-2010 at 12:08 AM.