Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Italian Vetterli-vitali 1870/87

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I stand corrected on the general statement I've made.

I have to say, however, that research had been done on Russian Vetterlis and basically every one encountered in the States has a 'made in ...' stamp. Same for SCW Mosins and other miscellaneous arms used in that conflict.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:34 AM   #12

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I finally shot my Vetterli yesterday and it was great, but I mistakenly posted it under the reloads and my post#13. I got a gunsmith to repair the firing pin and I purchased what was needed for my friend to make me the ammo. There's too much to state here again, but I covered pretty much everything on the other thread.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 06-06-2013 at 04:39 AM.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #13

Went shooting in Pa. this week. It was very hot at the range and there were too many people as well. The bench I had to use had the seat busted off, so sitting on a small metal plate with screw heads felt like a frying pan and tortured my butt. I can complain about the jerk who acted like Rambo standing next to me rapidly popping off his 9 causing me to flinch, but I can complain about too many other things as well. I was unfortunately next to the 25 yard targets, but couldn't go anywhere else. Public ranges just plain suck period.

I was able to shoot 2 four shot groups at 50 yards. One group was around 4". The other group had 2 rounds almost touching, but I flinched twice sending 2 rounds to opposite ends of the target. I then gave up cause that ammo is too hard to come by to waste. I then tried to sight in my Anschutz also at 50 yards. Fortunately after a 12 rounds it was perfect. I then took one careful shot with the Vetterli, which I was very happy with. My friend packed up while I was at the car leaving 2 of my targets behind.

Here's a few photos I took.

[URL=http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/gunsmokeTPF/media/P7010204_zps6ba2064b.jpg.html][

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 07-07-2013 at 01:45 AM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #14

Liked 694 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 720

I think I seen one of these in a local shop in 6.5 Carcano, they wanted $ 300 for it.... I think it was a 1870/81??

Old 07-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
Went shooting in Pa. this week. It was very hot at the range and there were too many people as well. The bench I had to use had the seat busted off, so sitting on a small metal plate with screw heads felt like a frying pan and tortured my butt. I can complain about the jerk who acted like Rambo standing next to me rapidly popping off his 9 causing me to flinch, but I can complain about too many other things as well. I was unfortunately next to the 25 yard targets, but couldn't go anywhere else. Public ranges just plain suck period.

I was able to shoot 2 four shot groups at 50 yards. One group was around 4". The other group had 2 rounds almost touching, but I flinched twice sending 2 rounds to opposite ends of the target. I then gave up cause that ammo is too hard to come by to waste. I then tried to sight in my Anschutz also at 50 yards. Fortunately after a 12 rounds it was perfect. I then took one careful shot with the Vetterli, which I was very happy with. My friend packed up while I was at the car leaving 2 of my targets behind.

Here's a few photos I took.

[URL=http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/gunsmokeTPF/media/P7010204_zps6ba2064b.jpg.html][
Do you reload? If not, that would probably be a good round to start on. It will most like save you some money in the long run, and it gets rid of the "hard to find" issue.

Nice shooting.

Question on the 6.5 versions. Can you put modern ammo through them, or only light loads? Just curious.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #16

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Many long years ago when the planet was more free I found an old rifle. We were quail hunting on the Texas Border West of El Paso. I bought an old Remington Rolling Block circa 1868. The old 11 MM or .43 Egyptian hung over the fireplace for some 40 years.
I decided it should come back to life. Over a number of years the orginal parts were found. I bought some brass and reloading dies. The old .43 Remington is very close to the Sharps .44-77. It is an orphan setting beside my Sharps but it has an untold history dating to the end of the Civil War era.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
I think I seen one of these in a local shop in 6.5 Carcano, they wanted $ 300 for it.... I think it was a 1870/81??
There are plenty of the 6.5 around. Those are called 1870/87/15. During WWI the Italians were short of rifles so they lined the barrels, changed the magazines and firing pins and issued them to those behind the lines thinking they won't be used. They work, but the black powder receivers really aren't strong enough to handle that round. Some have blown up, so it's suggested that the 6.5 be loaded down. The 10.35x47 is the one to get.

Many were sent by the Italians to Russia and they in turn sent them to Spain during their civil war. Some also were used by the IRA against the Brits in Northern Ireland. Those rifles got around. Mine was picked up in France during WWII.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Do you reload? If not, that would probably be a good round to start on. It will most like save you some money in the long run, and it gets rid of the "hard to find" issue.

Nice shooting.

Question on the 6.5 versions. Can you put modern ammo through them, or only light loads? Just curious.
I'm too old and too lazy to start reloading now. I'm lucky my friend is willing to do it for me, but I don't want to take too much advantage of him. He worked real hard loading each one at a time to make sure it was done correctly.

I bought the dies and bullet mold as well as 100 pre-formed shells made from 348 Win. brass from Buffalo Arms. I had my gunsmith swag the barrel, cause these rifles have bore sizesthat vary from .425 to .435 and that's why no one wants to manufacture this bullet. Mine measure at .434 and the mold was .436, which is perfect. I was always lucky to have friends that were into loading, especially 45LC, but foolishly I should've done it myself. I have other guns with hard to find ammo as well, but fortunately I don't shoot as much as I collect now.

The 6.5 is shot by plenty of people and they're the most common to be found. It's recommended not to shoot them unless you load them down, but many shoot them anyway and that can be seen on YouTube. Just gotta be careful. The first time I shot mine it was tied down to a shooting bench with a couple of bungies, then I tied a string to the trigger and pulled on it while a few feet back. Over the years I've shot lots of old guns without taking precautions, but I'm older now and my luck's something that I haven't had good experience with lately.

I have to say that this rifle is sweet to shoot with barely any recoil and it's a lot more accurate than I thought it would be. It also attracts attention at the range. I'm gonna have bp loads made up as well. I just love shooting bp, just not too fond of cleaning up afterwards.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Many long years ago when the planet was more free I found an old rifle. We were quail hunting on the Texas Border West of El Paso. I bought an old Remington Rolling Block circa 1868. The old 11 MM or .43 Egyptian hung over the fireplace for some 40 years.
I decided it should come back to life. Over a number of years the orginal parts were found. I bought some brass and reloading dies. The old .43 Remington is very close to the Sharps .44-77. It is an orphan setting beside my Sharps but it has an untold history dating to the end of the Civil War era.
I can see that you understand the frustration of watching something sitting idle for so many years when you know it should be shot. It took me 58 years to get the lead out and get that rifle to fire. I did spend between the gunsmith and buying everything needed to load it over $500. Each brass case was over $2 each and that was $200 for the 100 I got. But considering how many times they can be reloaded it will pay for itself down the road. Also all the things needed for it to be shot in the future will stay with the rifle and it will increase it's value.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:16 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3624

Thanks for the story. I really enjoied reading it. Im also glad ya got to take it out for a shooting session.