Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Issue with 1893 Turkish Mauser (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/issue-1893-turkish-mauser-76788/)

batjka 11-20-2012 10:20 PM

Issue with 1893 Turkish Mauser

I've had this rifle for tears and it never ran right. It pierced primers numerous times. Last I shot it, it pierced a primer and the blowback from it threw the firing pin back, breaking the cocking sleeve. I replaced the sleeve and the firing pin. But the problems continue. 1893 Mausers caulk on closing. When I close the bolt, the firing pin doesn't go back enough to be able to engage the safety. The cocking piece looks good, no damage to it. Any ideas? Th

c3shooter 11-21-2012 03:54 AM

Yeah, a couple of ideas- involving a gunsmith. Firing pin protrusion is excessive- that is likely why you are punching a hole thru the primer. Sooner or later you will get an out of battery firing when closing the bolt, and it will hurt you.

Possible the pin needs adjustment, possible gun is worn beyond simple repair. Smith will need to have in hand to determine which is which. The very good design of a Mauser is what is keeping it from hurting you now. Would not fire until a smith corrected the problem.

303tom 11-21-2012 03:58 AM

You need to have the firing pin & the head space checked..............

unioncreek 11-28-2012 12:35 AM

Turks Mauser firing pins are a medium length, different than most 98 Mauser's. probably what happened is someone replace the FP and didn't check the protrusion. If you go to mausercentral.com you can search on how to check the protrusion and how to correct it.

Bobg

jpattersonnh 11-28-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batjka (Post 1021890)
I've had this rifle for tears and it never ran right. It pierced primers numerous times. Last I shot it, it pierced a primer and the blowback from it threw the firing pin back, breaking the cocking sleeve. I replaced the sleeve and the firing pin. But the problems continue. 1893 Mausers caulk on closing. When I close the bolt, the firing pin doesn't go back enough to be able to engage the safety. The cocking piece looks good, no damage to it. Any ideas? Th

When cocked and you open the bolt without firing, does it "pop" open on its' own?? You can have 1 of 2 things going on. 1st thing you need to do is remove the bolt, Cock it manually and pull back the cocking sleeve to engage the safety. Take the bolt completely apart, including the pin, and reassemble. Make sure the shroud is completely screwed in. The '93-'94 action is very different from the '98 UC. It is not easy to find a new FP for them, so unless a smith made it that could be ruled out. It is possible that the pin is not completely set into the shroud before it was turned to lock it in.

batjka 11-28-2012 10:59 PM

Just re-read my original post. My apologies for all the spelling mistakes. I still can't get used to typing via touch screen phone, always miss the buttons.

As far as the 93 Mauser, I think the new firing pin is incorrect. I still have the original somewhere. The new one is too long, it protrudes through the bolt face in uncocked state. But there's still an issue with the safety. Everything is put together correctly but the striker doesn't cock far enough for the safety to engage. Could it be that the bolt is too long? I wish I had a different complete bolt to try. Or maybe the sear is worn, but it doesn't appear that way.

jpattersonnh 11-28-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batjka (Post 1031263)
Just re-read my original post. My apologies for all the spelling mistakes. I still can't get used to typing via touch screen phone, always miss the buttons.

As far as the 93 Mauser, I think the new firing pin is incorrect. I still have the original somewhere. The new one is too long, it protrudes through the bolt face in uncocked state. But there's still an issue with the safety. Everything is put together correctly but the striker doesn't cock far enough for the safety to engage. Could it be that the bolt is too long? I wish I had a different complete bolt to try. Or maybe the sear is worn, but it doesn't appear that way.

Put the old pin in. If everything works, the new pin is NG.

batjka 11-29-2012 12:05 AM

Yeag, need to find it. It did pierced primers, though. And if I remember correctly I could not engage safety with it either.