Ishapore Lee-Enfield 2A1 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Ishapore Lee-Enfield 2A1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556plinker View Post
I have one that had a new barrel replace by nato and stamped 1980. What a find! I shoot .308 thru it all the time and use it as my deer rifle. "Sure its a piece of crap compared to your scoped 700 remington but its my newly barreled piece of crap that only cost me 80$ in 1995."

I like the rifle and am quite proficient with it.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I agree with you,and it's 'not' a piece of crap. Enjoy it!

Old 10-08-2010, 04:19 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, I have researched the question before I made the post, and Mr. Bullock's advice is contary to what I have read from other people in the field. I am aware that .223 can be safely fired from a 5.56 chamber, but the reverse was true for .308 Winchester/ 7.62 NATO.

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

7.62x51mm NATO or 308 Winchester? What's the Difference?
No offence but what you are saying is contary to what I have learned and what I have been taught in different schools. But we can argue all we want back and forth, with everyone on the internet and on different forums everyone is suddenly a expert on the subject.
One of us is right and one is wrong, but who is I am not sure, but follow your teachings and I will follow mine. Good luck.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #13

Liked 751 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf View Post
No offence but what you are saying is contary to what I have learned and what I have been taught in different schools. But we can argue all we want back and forth, with everyone on the internet and on different forums everyone is suddenly a expert on the subject.
One of us is right and one is wrong, but who is I am not sure, but follow your teachings and I will follow mine. Good luck.
If you use .308 in your 7.62x51 rifle, you are inviting disaster.
There are a couple of factors. The chambers are different, Max pressure is different, quality of steel and design is different than a modern rifle. The difference in the 2 is 100fps+-. The 7.62x51 Nato round has an average MV of 2650 and the .308, 2740 with a correctly loaded 165..168gr bullet. That in itself should give it away. The Military brass is thicker, thus using less powder(volume). 10% less is a normal starting point for hand loaders.
If I was to use .308 commercial ammo in my 7.62x51 semi auto military rifles, it would hammer the action into junk or cause a catastrophic failure. Just because it "fits" does not make it correct. Why would Winchester make white box 7.62x51 ammo otherwise? Do what you want w/ your rifle (and body parts) they are yours.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #14

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkI View Post
Does anyone know where I could find an Ishy Enfield in .308 WIN? Are they pricey? Do they share all of the quality characteristics as their predecessors? Thanks
On a side note:
If you get a chance to examine one before you buy it, do so. I have a friend that shot mine and liked the gun, so he searched all the local gun shops until he found one and bought it. Good condition and a nice looking gun.

A couple of weeks later he talked about what a POS his new acquisition was, due to the fact that it would not cycle properly. It just would not feed ammunition through the gun without problems. I looked it over and discovered that somewhere along the line, someone had replaced the extractor on his gun with one from a .303 Enfield rifle.

Probably happened during an arsenal rebuild at some point where the parts got mixed up with those from another gun. So you do have to be careful about getting parts that are specific to the 7.62 rifle. And those parts aren't real easy to find these days....

Luckily I was able to dig up the proper extractor and install it for him, so he's happy now. So just be careful in your search. You don't want to become the not so proud owner of a 7.62 rifle with a .303 bolt in it.