Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > I'm in trouble now.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I'm in trouble now.

I have a 91/30 (1943) and an M44 (1945). The stocks are rough, but the barrels and actions are fine. I also have a 91/30 (1943) that belonged to one of my daughters ex husband. Long story longer, we (he and I) shot these rifles a couple of years ago. I cleaned my very well and advised him to do the same. He did run a patch, but did he clean it well? Anyway, I was gone last year babysitting for that daughter while she was deployed overseas with the Army. She got back and I got back (she's in WV and I'm in Texas). I just pulled those guns out today to look them over. As luck would have it, I pulled his first. It was stored in a gun shock and showed no rust or damage. I pulled the bolt and looked down the barrel. I then got out the old cleaning kit that came with it and pulled a brush (nylon on two ends and brass in the center) through the barrel after I dipped the brush in Hoppes #9. Rust!!! That's what it looked like. I pulled it through again with Blaster on it. More rust. I ran patches through it with Hoppes and then dry. Rust! I plugged the muzzle and poured some Kroil down the barrel and am letting it set over night. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for the help.

Dave

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

There's a forum called surplus rifle -do a search- which could be quite helpful.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

kroil is excellent stuff and that should do it . also get a larger than bore size wire brush and a drill and polish the inside , use a variable speed drill and only go 1/3 speed . i've cleaned a few enfields using this procedure and it worked well for me

Old 10-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guncollector View Post
kroil is excellent stuff and that should do it . also get a larger than bore size wire brush and a drill and polish the inside , use a variable speed drill and only go 1/3 speed . i've cleaned a few enfields using this procedure and it worked well for me
Thanks, I'll look for the proper brush.

Dave

Old 10-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
I'm your huckleberry
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgray64 View Post
Thanks, I'll look for the proper brush.

Dave
Also on the wire brush, a brass one may be a better idea than a steel one. The steel one would probably be more likely to scratch the inside of your barrel than a brass one would.

EDIT: I am not claiming the above to be a true fact, just a possibility. It is possible that a steel one wouldn't hurt the barrel at all, but I do think the brass brush is the safer option since brass is softer than steel.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #6

Liked 2183 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

Brown Vinegar. A couple passes, run patches

Brush solvent. A couple passes , run patches (back to vinegar)

Overnight--Dexron III ATF- does the work for you.

PLEASE- use this stuff in the BARREL ONLY...

Old 10-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by guncollector View Post
Great idea

Old 10-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Brown Vinegar. A couple passes, run patches

Brush solvent. A couple passes , run patches (back to vinegar)

Overnight--Dexron III ATF- does the work for you.

PLEASE- use this stuff in the BARREL ONLY...
Thanks. Is brown vinegar apple cider vinegar? Why won't white vinegar work as well? Thanks again. The ATF sounds like a great idea as well.

Dave

Old 10-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If the bore is full of rust, where did the chrome lining go?

Old 10-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunRanull View Post
If the bore is full of rust, where did the chrome lining go?
This is a gun built in 1943 on a design that originated in 1891, the barrels were't chromed. The guns shot rounds with corrosive primers to such an extent that soldiers were issued a small divided bottle with a separate cap for each side. The solder got into a fight and as soon as he could thereafter, he poured the water or water/ammonia mixture down the barrel to nutrilize the corrosive nature of the primers, then he ran a rag down it with oil from the other side of the bottle. Some of them peed down their barrels when they had no water or ammonia. My ex-son-in-law should have peed down his barrel.

Dave