Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   I'm in trouble now. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/im-trouble-now-74563/)

dgray64 10-18-2012 03:17 AM

I'm in trouble now.

I have a 91/30 (1943) and an M44 (1945). The stocks are rough, but the barrels and actions are fine. I also have a 91/30 (1943) that belonged to one of my daughters ex husband. Long story longer, we (he and I) shot these rifles a couple of years ago. I cleaned my very well and advised him to do the same. He did run a patch, but did he clean it well? Anyway, I was gone last year babysitting for that daughter while she was deployed overseas with the Army. She got back and I got back (she's in WV and I'm in Texas). I just pulled those guns out today to look them over. As luck would have it, I pulled his first. It was stored in a gun shock and showed no rust or damage. I pulled the bolt and looked down the barrel. I then got out the old cleaning kit that came with it and pulled a brush (nylon on two ends and brass in the center) through the barrel after I dipped the brush in Hoppes #9. Rust!!! That's what it looked like. I pulled it through again with Blaster on it. More rust. I ran patches through it with Hoppes and then dry. Rust! I plugged the muzzle and poured some Kroil down the barrel and am letting it set over night. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for the help.

Dave

crazycharlie2 10-18-2012 11:05 AM

There's a forum called surplus rifle -do a search- which could be quite helpful.

guncollector 10-18-2012 04:46 PM

kroil is excellent stuff and that should do it . also get a larger than bore size wire brush and a drill and polish the inside , use a variable speed drill and only go 1/3 speed . i've cleaned a few enfields using this procedure and it worked well for me

dgray64 10-18-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guncollector (Post 981460)
kroil is excellent stuff and that should do it . also get a larger than bore size wire brush and a drill and polish the inside , use a variable speed drill and only go 1/3 speed . i've cleaned a few enfields using this procedure and it worked well for me

Thanks, I'll look for the proper brush.

Dave

texaswoodworker 10-18-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgray64 (Post 981555)
Thanks, I'll look for the proper brush.

Dave

Also on the wire brush, a brass one may be a better idea than a steel one. The steel one would probably be more likely to scratch the inside of your barrel than a brass one would.

EDIT: I am not claiming the above to be a true fact, just a possibility. It is possible that a steel one wouldn't hurt the barrel at all, but I do think the brass brush is the safer option since brass is softer than steel.

therewolf 10-18-2012 10:30 PM

Brown Vinegar. A couple passes, run patches

Brush solvent. A couple passes , run patches (back to vinegar)

Overnight--Dexron III ATF- does the work for you. ;)

PLEASE- use this stuff in the BARREL ONLY...

crazycharlie2 10-18-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guncollector (Post 981460)

Great idea:)

dgray64 10-19-2012 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 981810)
Brown Vinegar. A couple passes, run patches

Brush solvent. A couple passes , run patches (back to vinegar)

Overnight--Dexron III ATF- does the work for you. ;)

PLEASE- use this stuff in the BARREL ONLY...

Thanks. Is brown vinegar apple cider vinegar? Why won't white vinegar work as well? Thanks again. The ATF sounds like a great idea as well.

Dave :)

DunRanull 10-29-2012 01:59 AM

If the bore is full of rust, where did the chrome lining go?

dgray64 10-29-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DunRanull (Post 993750)
If the bore is full of rust, where did the chrome lining go?

This is a gun built in 1943 on a design that originated in 1891, the barrels were't chromed. The guns shot rounds with corrosive primers to such an extent that soldiers were issued a small divided bottle with a separate cap for each side. The solder got into a fight and as soon as he could thereafter, he poured the water or water/ammonia mixture down the barrel to nutrilize the corrosive nature of the primers, then he ran a rag down it with oil from the other side of the bottle. Some of them peed down their barrels when they had no water or ammonia. My ex-son-in-law should have peed down his barrel.

Dave