Ifind old magazines collectable & quite interesting

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Ifind old magazines collectable & quite interesting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 06:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ifind old magazines collectable & quite interesting

I'm a 3 day ld member here, so Imight not have this thread in correct section.

If so please excuse my inexperienceon this site.

BUT..............

I've had a habit/hobby of collecting certain types of very, very old magazines and keeping them for many years, now.

I leave them put up for 30-35+ years, then break them out & marvel at the advertisements, and articles.

I have quite a few 1930s-60s new car advertisements, as well as 1960s- 1970s Hot Rod mags and others types.with a lot of "the Muscle car" advertisements from back in their "hey-day.

Back on track here.....

While cleaning up in my Dad & I's ammo loading/storage room built on back of garage the othe r day,I spied several binders with old gun magazines and a few 70s-80s "Gun Bibles".

One binder in specific had some old, yet pristine 1957-1958 "GUNS Magazine" in it. I thought thumbing through them might be very interesting as I was born in 1957. So I had a look.....

Pictured below are a few pics of the covers of the ones I found *most interesting.

Sorry for the not so great cell phone pics but it's all I have ATM.

ENJOY!

Pic of actress Ann Francis on this cover...

Eli Whitney, Father of Interchangability of gun parts?

Guess they were fighting in the Desert back then too?

Anyone recognize the shooter of this bear?

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I like old magazines and books too. Here are a couple. The 1st edition of the Gun Digest and the 9th edition of what would become the Shooters Bible.

20140401_084759.jpg   20140401_084819.jpg  

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 04-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What floored me was the pistol, and rifle advertisements listing the *prices.

many Hi powered rifles could be had for @ 25 bux and some under 20 bux.

Most expensive average 44,45 caliber pistols were @ 100 bux., that I saw in these magazines

Some other smaller caliber pistols for 40-60 bux.

Of course figure in the wages of 1957/58 and that was likely not so cheap back then. But compared to today seems *super dirt cheap*.

Sorta fun to "look back into the past" through old magazines.

I'll be keeping the one with Roy Rogers on the cover for many years to come and will most likely frame it under glass, and hang it in the ammo/reloading room. I was quite the Roy Rogers fan when I was a kid.

I'd sure like to find an old gun magazine from back in the day with "The Lone Ranger" on it, to go with this one with Roy Rogers on it

Might frame the one with Anne Francis and the Hollywood gun experts articles too. It has a few pics of Glen Ford in that article.

Last edited by MarlinMan1895CB; 04-01-2014 at 07:05 PM.
crazycharlie2 Likes This