I Need Your Help!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

I Need Your Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 01:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default I Need Your Help!

I got word that my grandmother was looking to get some info on a couple guns my grandfather left with her when he passed away. Thinking it was a few "modern" handguns or rifles, I said I would be glad to help. Unbeknowst to me, I got myself way in over my head. I have no clue what most of these guns are and would greatly appreciate as much help as you guys can give me.

I was on a strict schedule this afternoon and wasn't anticipating taking pictures of these guns, so I did what I could with my phone. I briefly looked them over for markings; some have a couple markings of manufacturers, others, just a couple numbers/letters. I'm planning to go back and take some quality pictures and document all the markings.

There is also a LOT of powder horns/tins and all the "tools" to make musket balls.

I Need Your Help! - Curio & Relic Discussion

These next two pictures are of the same two guns; they were too long to fit in the frame.

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 05-07-2009 at 01:48 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2009, 01:36 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I do know that the two guns the look the same in the top right corner, are pair of dueling pistols.?

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 05-07-2009 at 02:56 AM.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Just the top layer of powder tins (correct term?), there are about 20 in that one box, and there are 4 boxes. Theres an array of tin, horn, and leather ones.

The numbers on the Colt match. I tried getting the serials, but once again, pictures were with a phone. Its not as dirty as it looks.

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 05-07-2009 at 02:54 AM.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Bump? wtf guys.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'd help if I could, but those weapons are way out of my scope of knowledge.

You may want to try here: Welcome to Graybeard Outdoors
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The top rifle in the first pic is very blurry but appears to be an 1863 Springfield. It may be a Zouave. Are all these guns originals or are some replica's? There seems to be a percussion Kentucky pistol in one photo, an English Blunderbuss, and two French duelling pistols although it's impossible to tell given the blurred photo's. If originals they may be worth a fortune. Take better pics and send to the American Rifleman for identification, year of manufacture, and possible value. If that percussion revolver is an actual Colt, it would be worth doing the backround on it since original ownership can determine the value and the value can be in the tens of thousands. The powder flasks may be worth as much as the guns if they were original, although they appear to be of relatively new manufacture. Above all, DO NOT sell anything until you have determined the actual worth through a 3rd party reputable authority on firearms antiquities if these are in fact originals. An original Colt Single Action Army recently sold for almost $800,000.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-08-2009 at 01:43 AM.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:14 AM   #7

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I'll give you 50 bucks for all of it!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
The top rifle in the first pic is very blurry but appears to be an 1863 Springfield. It may be a Zouave. Are all these guns originals or are some replica's? There seems to be a percussion Kentucky pistol in one photo, an English Blunderbuss, and two French duelling pistols although it's impossible to tell given the blurred photo's. If originals they may be worth a fortune. Take better pics and send to the American Rifleman for identification, year of manufacture, and possible value. If that percussion revolver is an actual Colt, it would be worth doing the backround on it since original ownership can determine the value and the value can be in the tens of thousands. The powder flasks may be worth as much as the guns if they were original, although they appear to be of relatively new manufacture. Above all, DO NOT sell anything until you have determined the actual worth through a 3rd party reputable authority on firearms antiquities if these are in fact originals. An original Colt Single Action Army recently sold for almost $800,000.
Thank you so much for all that info. Like I said, I have no idea where to start.

They are all originals except for the second rifle in the first pic. The Colt is an actual Colt, with all matching numbers. I'm not sure about the tin powder flasks being original. I'll have to get back to you on that.

I think I'm going to go take some more, high quality pictures today.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #9

3'rd picture, top rifle is a M1871 swiss vetterli. Should be in 10.4mm rimfire.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Thank you so much for all that info. Like I said, I have no idea where to start.

They are all originals except for the second rifle in the first pic. The Colt is an actual Colt, with all matching numbers. I'm not sure about the tin powder flasks being original. I'll have to get back to you on that.

I think I'm going to go take some more, high quality pictures today.
YW and I'm jealous!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Newest Threads