Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   i got a new rifle please if anyone knows anything about it?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/i-got-new-rifle-please-if-anyone-knows-anything-about-6864/)

jrstarkey 09-09-2008 02:11 AM

i got a new rifle please if anyone knows anything about it??

i know this much its a carl gustaf ,it reads carl gustaf stads gevarsfaktori, 1904 it shoots 6,5x55 swedish it has an emblem of whatlooks like a mohawk indian, i bought it for $180 the only problem in someone decided to cut off the fore stock, other wise it would have been worth 900 bucks. i cant currently take pics, but will when i get some batteries for my camera but for the mean time can any one tell me about it???

dragunovsks 09-09-2008 02:34 AM

Sounds like a Swedish Mauser, but you probably figured that much. I don't know much about this rifle but a friend of mine has one that was given to him by a relative as a birthday gift. He said the recoil is managable, about like a Mosin-Nagant M44. I'll try to find a little about it for you.

dragunovsks 09-09-2008 02:47 AM

If you go to www.surplusrifles.com you should be able to identify your rifle. At the main page scroll down while looking for Swedish Mauser on the left hand side of the screen. There are two Swedish Mausers listed, an M/38 and an M/96, I'm don't know which your's is but you should be able to tell. I'm pretty sure it's a Mauser because my friends has "Carl Gustave" printed on the receiver, along with some other words.

Does your's have the brass disk on the right side of the stock? This website tells you what the disk is for and who to read it.

I might be wrong about this but once you see the pics, you should be able to tell. I'm no expert, but I hope I helped some.:cool:

jrstarkey 09-09-2008 02:48 AM

thanks man

i knew it was swedish its a carl gustaf but i just wanna know how they handle i hear their top notch when it comes to puttin wholes in stuff at distances

jrstarkey 09-09-2008 03:04 AM

mine has one but it has a mohawk indian i think its the older model

dragunovsks 09-09-2008 03:37 AM

According to surplusrifles.com, they are very high quality rifles. The Swedish are known for being miticulous about everything they make. I've never fired one though so I can't tell you how accurate they are but my friend said they don't really kick that bad.

jrstarkey 09-09-2008 03:42 AM

i plan on shooting it on sunday i hope it works well thanks for the help man

freefall 09-09-2008 05:44 AM

I envy you, I've seen a couple didn't bother to buy them (they'll still be cheap next year). The people I know who have them say they're very accurate and perform well out of proportion to bullet wight and powder charge. I know a guy who regularly kills moose with one. (I'd envisioned it as more of a caribou round)
No way, No how, N'Obama!

cpttango30 09-09-2008 12:01 PM

the 6.5x55 swed is a very good caliber. They use it for just about everything in Europe. It is not some fancy short mag but it will kill just about anything out there if you do your part. The sweds use it for moose I believe. I have its brother the 6.5x57mm both of which are very popular in Europe, the 6.5x55mm is and has been popular here in the USA for a long time as well. recoil is not as much as a 308 but not as light as a 243win. it is a middle of the road cartridge in the recoil factor I would say you could shoot it all day long and not have any problems with it.

jeepcreep927 09-09-2008 08:44 PM

I second cpttango30 on that. The 6.5x55 is very popular in Europe and is used for everything, including moose. DWM Bell actually took elephants with it, but I suppose I wouldn't attempt that.

The 6.5 has excellent sectional density, which is the key to it's effectiveness.