Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > I Got a New Mum!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 672 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Default I Got a New Mum!!

I got a new Arisaka today.. Its a Type 38 cavalry carbine? I didnt even know there were Arisaka carbines.. I guess the Japanese used them like we used the M1 carbine... The stock has been sporterized but the rifle still has the mum..
It looks like the carbine stocks/parts are hard to come by, I was thinking of getting a shortened/sporterized type 38 long rifle stock for cheap and trying to convert it to a "factory looking" carbine stock... They look like they only have slight differences.. what do you think?

Here it is next to my Type 99... (The bayonet is longer than the barrel!! )

107_5824.jpg   107_5830.jpg   107_5825.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Nice looking rifle, have you had a chance to shoot her?

Are you sure thats a bayonet and not just a short sword.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #3

I think the bayonets ARE short swords...

I havent shot it yet, I dont have any 6.5 Jap.. It came with a box of norma brass, The guy said he might have some clips for it and told me he would let me know if he finds them..

Im more worried about finding a stock for it right now.. I cant stand a sporter mil-surp.. I got it mainly 'cause its a carbine with the mum still...

Old 03-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #4

Are you looking for a original stock, or a new stock that is a replica?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #5

I would prefer a original, but a repro one would be cool.. I dont think they make reproduction stocks for Arisakas? Kinda why I was wondering about converting a Type 38 long rifle stock... Im thinking a cut down one of those could still be long enough for the carbine, but some of the hardware and and the foregrip are slightly different than a "normal" long type 38...
Original stocks seem to cost about as much as a whole Arisaka! Sometimes more!!

T38 rifle:

T38 carbine:

Last edited by Trez; 03-08-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #6

That may work. Both repo and orig are probably uncommon, so I can see why they are expensive. I have an old shotgun that needs a new stock, so I'm making one for it. Everything on this gun is hard to find (even the 2 9/16" 16 ga ammo) . It's not worth much in working condition, so I may just use it as a wall hanger. But thats getting off topic.
The rifle stock idea could work pretty good if you fins one for a good price.