Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > I could use some help on my Yugo 24/47

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default I could use some help on my Yugo 24/47

I got it disassembled and pretty much de-cosmolined. However, I'm having trouble disassembling the rear sight. I removed the pivot pin, but can't get it loose. There's a piece of spring steel in there like a Mosin's front sight, so I tried depressing it, but that doesn't work. Any suggestions from you Mauser experts?

The stock and handguard are oozing cosmoline and will go back out into the Sun for another day or two. I also found a fair amount of surface rust and would appreciate any solutions for that as well.

I figure some oil and fine steel wool should clean it up and since it's covered by the stock and forearm, I figured I could just give it a coat of Oxpho Blue that I have laying around. Or is there a better cold blue for matching the existing blue? The steel that is exposed could use a touch up as well, so I'd like a cold blue that will match the stock blue/black. I'd really appreciate some input on this as well.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2011, 02:05 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

CA, I know many purists will recoil in shock & horror, but I've degunked and restored many an old cosmoline soaked stocks using Easy-Off oven cleaner and warm water. Two 20-minute soakings will usually do the job. A stiff nylon brush to scrub the goo off when you wash off the oven cleaner will also help. Murphy's Oil Soap is also a good product to use as a wash after the oven cleaner treatment.

The secret is to not let the Easy-Off stay on the stock for more than 20 minutes. Do it outside in a well ventilated area, wear rubber gloves and let the stock hang dry in the sun for a day and make sure it's 100% dry before proceeding with the next step. I assume you'll probably want to use a boiled linseed oil finish?

Old 06-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm old school, I cleaned the steel with gasoline.

I'm just going to let the Sun leech the stuff out of the wood.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Never mind, I found the info for the sight. I was close, just not quite there. However, I could really still use some input on the cold blue question.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Oxpho is as decent as most cold blues. I use Van's, and Blue Wonder has good reports. Key is going to be prepping the metal surface- polishing, degreasing, warming the metal before attempting to blue. Do NOT try to apply cold blue with steel wool- it will blue the steel wool instead of your gun. Use a NEW toothbrush- 5 for a buck from the dollar store. For a quickie polish I have used 600 grit wet or dry paper with a light oil, degrease with alcohol, warm with a blow dryer. Your mileage may vary.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
CA, I know many purists will recoil in shock & horror, but I've degunked and restored many an old cosmoline soaked stocks using Easy-Off oven cleaner and warm water. Two 20-minute soakings will usually do the job. A stiff nylon brush to scrub the goo off when you wash off the oven cleaner will also help. Murphy's Oil Soap is also a good product to use as a wash after the oven cleaner treatment.

The secret is to not let the Easy-Off stay on the stock for more than 20 minutes. Do it outside in a well ventilated area, wear rubber gloves and let the stock hang dry in the sun for a day and make sure it's 100% dry before proceeding with the next step. I assume you'll probably want to use a boiled linseed oil finish?

Glad to see someone else who's not afraid to use this product in restoration work... I got into a big pissing match on another forum talking about this product. In all the "years" I've used this process, I have never once had a stock get burnt or discolored. When used properly, Easy-Off is every bit as good as any other chemical stripper you can find.

My process involves using hot .. hot water to remove the gunk then air dry or sun dry before moving on to the rest of the finishing process..

Did not mean to steal this thread from the OP but this was and is a hot topic for me... ( sorry )

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 06-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It's all good Old Man. The free exchange of ideas and opinions is what this place is about.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
It's all good Old Man. The free exchange of ideas and opinions is what this place is about.

Thank you sir.. Btw, I read a little on Van's cold blue. I've always used BC or Oxpho blue myself but thinking about giving Van's a try. Purely based on C3's posting. The Van's website mentions dunking the parts in whole as well as applying via cotton cloth. I've dunked small parts in like that in the past and the part seems to take the blue better and more even.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 06-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks, I'll look into Van's. There isn't any deadline on this, I don't foresee having ammunition for it until next month. (Budget considerations, moving was expensive with the usual unexpected costs. )

Old 06-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Glad to see someone else who's not afraid to use this product in restoration work... I got into a big pissing match on another forum talking about this product. In all the "years" I've used this process, I have never once had a stock get burnt or discolored. When used properly, Easy-Off is every bit as good as any other chemical stripper you can find.

My process involves using hot .. hot water to remove the gunk then air dry or sun dry before moving on to the rest of the finishing process..

Did not mean to steal this thread from the OP but this was and is a hot topic for me... ( sorry )
Using Easy-Off cleaner on the old cosmoline soaked stocks has worked perfectly for me every time. I think it got a bad rep. because people were using it incorrectly and leaving it on too long. The maximum time I'll leave it on is 20-minutes. It breaks down the gunk and washes right off with warm/hot water. Letting the stock dry properly and completely before moving on and working it is another secret. Waiting is never fun, but patience is critical in restoration work.