Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   I applied for my C&R license (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/i-applied-my-c-r-license-28865/)

CA357 06-30-2010 03:55 AM

I applied for my C&R license

I applied for my C&R license last week. I don't know how long it takes to process.

My motivation is the outlandish transfer fees dealers charge to have a firearm shipped here. The cheapest I have found is $65. that breaks down to $25. to the state and $40. to the dealer. And that guy is only open for four hours on Monday and Friday. :rolleyes:

At the gun shop where I used to work it's $25. plus $100. to the dealer. :eek:

Those prices make it impossible to get a good deal on a C&R firearm. Retail prices, like everything else in CA are higher than the rest of the Country.

If I go to a gun show in Reno, Nevada, I have to have a firearm shipped to a dealer here and then I get to pay shipping and the transfer fees.

With the C&R, I no longer have to put up with that nonsense and can just buy, cash and carry.

I'll be delighted when I can get to Oregon.

NitroxAZ 06-30-2010 05:38 PM

Good news. Let us know how the C&R works out for you. I have thought about getting one also.

ScottG 06-30-2010 05:39 PM

It can take up to eight weeks to get your C&R in the mail. But, I'm not sure if California is as friendly towards your license status as other states. I assume you checked that out. If you go to a gun show in Reno, I guess you're talking about buying in a private sale, because no gun shop or pawn shop or sporting goods store will sell a California resident any firearm. Not allowed to, you'll see a nifty little firearms map that shows who may and may not buy a pistol or long gun in Nevada. California is listed as "no sales."

Until your second amendment rights are restored, that's the way it is.

CA357 06-30-2010 06:44 PM

Yeah, I'm talking about private sales.

California really shouldn't have anything to do with the licensing process, the paperwork went to BATFE in Atlanta.

I would be surprised if it was turned down. I have my "Handgun Safety Permit" from the California D.O.J. which is necessary to purchase a handgun here and a State of Utah non-resident concealed carry permit. If that isn't vetted enough, I don't know what is.

canebrake 06-30-2010 07:23 PM

As soon as it arrives make a .jpg of it and send it to MidwayUSA, Brownells.. etc.

You will then be eligible for dealer pricing.

It payed for itself in my first order to Midway!

Do not sign the original, make copies and sign them. Keep one with you when you go to gun shops, Pro Bass Shops, Cabela's or anywhere you think you could get a discount by being a FFL holder.

canebrake 06-30-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 308350)
As soon as it arrives make a .jpg of it and send it to MidwayUSA, Brownells.. etc.

You will then be eligible for dealer pricing.

It payed for itself in my first order to Midway!

Do not sign the original, make copies and sign them. Keep one with you when you go to gun shops, Pro Bass Shops, Cabela's or anywhere you think you could get a discount by being a FFL holder.

Oh yea, you MUST keep a record of every purchase and disposition of C&R firearms for BATFE.

CA357 06-30-2010 08:17 PM

Okay Cane. Thanks for the info.

gandog56 07-02-2010 11:42 PM

No, No! Don't do it...oops, too late.

I use to have money in the bank. Then I got my C&R and that took care of THAT problem.:D

Make sure you send off signed copies to Midway, Graf And Sons, And Numrich. They all have C&R license holder discounts. And since reloading is the only way to make some milsurps affordable (Like my Steyr M95!) I save a ton of money that way. (Or should I say I just don't spend it as fast?)

CA357 07-03-2010 01:13 AM

Oh no! It's too late Gandog. :eek:

c3shooter 07-03-2010 02:20 AM

CA does treat C&R HANDGUNS differently- rifles and shotguns OK. Yes, you can buy a rifle in Reno- IF it is C&R. You are what is called a "licensed individual".

DO set yourself up a "bound volume". This is your record of acquired and disposed of firearms. You will get a CD and a packet of info from the BATFE- read it. Make copies of your license, do not sign original. Sign copies as you need them. Keep a copy in your wallet for argets of opportunity. Auctionarms has a c&r category. Kiss yer checking acct balance goo-bye. PS- shipping-rifles/shotguns, no hoo hah. HANDGUNS- 03 C&R CANNOT mail a handgun by US Mail- they left us out of the reg that says dealers and mfgrs. PM me if you have questions. Enjoy. Had mine since 1976.