Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Hypothetical question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 03:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75

A simple solution to a complex problem. Do what I am doing, move out of the state with the BS laws. if you do it within the next 16 months or so, you will even be in the new state long enough to vote in the next election.

Here in NY, they are grandfathering every pre-ban that is registered, and any "antique" firearm (50 and over, Somebody needs to inform Albany as to what the Federal definition is!) is exempt from the new 7 round "safe" maximum capacity, but you can still only load 7 rounds. I am still waiting or a reply regarding my M1 Garand from a friend on the state police. I had to ask if it is an "Assault Rifle" because the NY "Safe Act" defines one as having a detachable magazine. An M1 uses an en-block clip, and the magazine is fixed. Hence my confusion, and the reason I will be moving out of NY. Pa or Ohio, depends on which school system calls first.

then again, if we are refering to an M1, is it not truely an assault weapon? After all, they, along with Mosins, Enfields, and Springfields were used during wars.
Not an assault rifle.. You can have detachable magazines.. Then you can't have any scary features... No detachable mag? You can have all the scary features you would like!! Don't gotta register it either!

Old 06-15-2013, 03:48 AM   #12
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1488 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 7311

[QUOTE=hockeyjr1;1276763]Not an assault rifle.. You can have detachable magazines.. Then you can't have any scary features... No detachable mag? You can have all the scary features you would like!! Don't gotta register it either

problem is that the law is so poorly written, it is essentially open to the LEO's own intrpretation.

Not talking about the state's definition, talking about the practical true definition. has the firearm or other identical in make, model, and operation, ever been used by any military in defense of country, or warfare and training. If the answer is yes, it is an assault weapon. if it is no, it is not an assault rifle.

Under this definition, an AR-15 would not be an assault rifle, but a Mosin Nagant 91\30 would be because the AR was not used by the military in a time of war, and the MN 91\30 was.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?