Hypothetical question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Hypothetical question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
SUJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Default Hypothetical question

Scenario:

You purchase a firearm (let's say an M1 Carbine) with your C&R. You live in one of the several states that are now banning "assault rifles" and the carbine falls within the definition. You don't want to get rid of the rifle (or register it if that is what your state now requires). If it was not purchased using your C&R you could store it out of state. But the C&R requires it to be stored at the address on the license. What could be done? I assume the stricter law takes precedence so even though you can legally own it as far as the feds are concerned the states stricter law takes precedence. What do you do? Can you transfer the gun to yourself from the C&R and then move it out of state? Or can you not transfer it to yourself? Can you get permission to store some of your C&R's at another location?

All these new proposed state laws got me thinking about this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2873 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Some, but not all states, have ways of grandfathering.

Moving to a new state requires a lot of research. They do not accept ignorance as an excuse.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8855 Times on 3835 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

You cannot transfer a C&R from your license to yourself .

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1577 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 8154

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUJ View Post
Scenario:

You purchase a firearm (let's say an M1 Carbine) with your C&R. You live in one of the several states that are now banning "assault rifles" and the carbine falls within the definition. You don't want to get rid of the rifle (or register it if that is what your state now requires). If it was not purchased using your C&R you could store it out of state. But the C&R requires it to be stored at the address on the license. What could be done? I assume the stricter law takes precedence so even though you can legally own it as far as the feds are concerned the states stricter law takes precedence. What do you do? Can you transfer the gun to yourself from the C&R and then move it out of state? Or can you not transfer it to yourself? Can you get permission to store some of your C&R's at another location?

All these new proposed state laws got me thinking about this.
A simple solution to a complex problem. Do what I am doing, move out of the state with the BS laws. if you do it within the next 16 months or so, you will even be in the new state long enough to vote in the next election.

Here in NY, they are grandfathering every pre-ban that is registered, and any "antique" firearm (50 and over, Somebody needs to inform Albany as to what the Federal definition is!) is exempt from the new 7 round "safe" maximum capacity, but you can still only load 7 rounds. I am still waiting or a reply regarding my M1 Garand from a friend on the state police. I had to ask if it is an "Assault Rifle" because the NY "Safe Act" defines one as having a detachable magazine. An M1 uses an en-block clip, and the magazine is fixed. Hence my confusion, and the reason I will be moving out of NY. Pa or Ohio, depends on which school system calls first.

then again, if we are refering to an M1, is it not truely an assault weapon? After all, they, along with Mosins, Enfields, and Springfields were used during wars.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 04-03-2013 at 12:49 AM.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #5

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
A simple solution to a complex problem. Do what I am doing, move out of the state with the BS laws. if you do it within the next 16 months or so, you will even be in the new state long enough to vote in the next election.

Here in NY, the are grandfathering every pre-ban that is registered, and any "antique" firearm (50 and over, Somebody needs to inform Albany as to what the Federal definition is!) is exempt from the new 7 round "safe" maximum capacity, but you can still only load 7 rounds. I am still waiting or a reply regarding my M1 Garand from a friend on the state police. I had to ask if it is an "Assault Rifle" because the NY Safe Act defines one as having a detachable magazine. An M1 uses an en-block clip, and the magazine is fixed. Hence my confusion, and the reason I will be moving out of NY. Pa or Ohio, depends on which school system calls first.
Your information is not correct. An Antique firearm is manufactured before 1899. Could be Dec 31, 1898. but that is the federal law. Your M1 has a box magazine. There are 5 round Enbloks.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #6
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Your information is not correct. An Antique firearm is manufactured before 1899. Could be Dec 31, 1898. but that is the federal law. Your M1 has a box magazine. There are 5 round Enbloks.
JP, you are partly correct.The information in my post is taken directly from the NY SAFE Act, basically a case of GIGO. The BATFE defines an antique firearm as any firearm manufactured prior to January 1st, 1899. NY state has the wrong information in their BS law.

The MI Garand uses en-bloc clips in an internal magazine. Yes, 5 rounders are available. That is not where my question on the rifle is. Under the safe act, ny has outlawed the sale and import of assault style weapons.These are defined as being semi-automatic, with a detachable magazine, and 1 or more scary features. The magazine in my M1 can be removed during disassembly, but reloading is accomplished by dropping in an en-bloc from the top of the action, not by dropping an enpty mag, and inserting a fresh one.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8855 Times on 3835 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

Would not consider the Garand to have a "detachable magazine". I can remove the magazine from any rifle while disassembling the rifle.

Would also be searching Realtor.com. If you move to Virginia, you will have to get used to putting fewer zeros on your property tax payments, tho.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #8
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Would not consider the Garand to have a "detachable magazine". I can remove the magazine from any rifle while disassembling the rifle.

Would also be searching Realtor.com. If you move to Virginia, you will have to get used to putting fewer zeros on your property tax payments, tho.
I've got family down near Richmond. VA is also on the list of possibles after the daughter is done with college.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #9

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post

Here in NY, they are grandfathering every pre-ban that is registered, and any "antique" firearm (50 and over, Somebody needs to inform Albany as to what the Federal definition is!) is exempt from the new 7 round "safe" maximum capacity, but you can still only load 7 rounds. I am still waiting or a reply regarding my M1 Garand from a friend on the state police. I had to ask if it is an "Assault Rifle" because the NY "Safe Act" defines one as having a detachable magazine. An M1 uses an en-block clip, and the magazine is fixed. Hence my confusion, and the reason I will be moving out of NY. Pa or Ohio, depends on which school system calls first.

then again, if we are refering to an M1, is it not truely an assault weapon? After all, they, along with Mosins, Enfields, and Springfields were used during wars.
Agreed move to a new state i would before i gave up a damn thing.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #10

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

well dont go to pa, they jumped on the bandwagon come here to Ohio they are not making any new law,s here that restricts us from owning anything ,in fact we are arming school teachers now in Ohio and training them on how to safely use and store them.