Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Hungarian 8mm Mauser (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/hungarian-8mm-mauser-26891/)

Shihan 05-07-2010 04:10 AM

Hungarian 8mm Mauser

1 Attachment(s)
I was looking at a Hungarian 8mm Steyr, and thinking of getting it. I enjoy the old Rifles.
I know nothing about them. This one the bolt slides straight back. It looked like this one here.
What is a fair price to give for one?
I don't know if the price is about equal to what you pay for a Mosin.
It looked in very good condition. Thanks.

c3shooter 05-07-2010 01:24 PM

Link to article that MAY be about your rifle: Modern Firearms - Steyr Mannlicher M95 (M1895) rifle

In general, interesting rifles, decent strength action, etc. Couple of key items- Caliber MAY not be 8mm Mauser, but an 8mm RIMMED cartridge. They are still available, but do not interchange with 8mm Mauser. Second, unless used as a single shot, these require the use of a clip (not a magazine, but a clip) that, much like the Carcano, is inserted, held in the magazine during firing, and drops out after the last shot.

And if you like older guns, are in the US, and have not already done so, consider getting your 03 C&R FFL. Most fun you can have for $30. See cruffler.com for more info.

m72law 05-07-2010 06:48 PM

+3 c3shooter....check out S.O.G.(southernohioguns) they still have these rifles for the same price as the mosins(close)...the ammo is harder to find.Myself,it is a worthy rifle to own....and if you do pickup one of these rifles and shoot it with the ''nazi'' ammo...(better off,cheaper reloading for this cal.)...you might want to get a recoil pad to put on the buttend of this MULE!!!:eek:...shes a kicker w/the surplus ammo...like c3shooter said about your C&RFFL...it'll be the best 30bucks you ever spent...just make the necessary preparations to go broke:D...but watch how fast your toolsafe grows;)

c3shooter 05-07-2010 09:28 PM

Please note- the cartridge IS 8x56 RIMMED- at least on the SOG guns. That is not 8mm Mauser. And can be fairly hard to find.

Bigcountry02 05-07-2010 10:54 PM

I reviewed yesterday, did the long web checking on who sells and ammo availability - wife did give me approval; however, ammo access will be an issue. Some places had Nazi ammo for sale for a high price.

After sleeping on it! I will pass on a beautiful weapon - the stock was excellent condition :(. Could use it as a wall piece! :eek: What am I thinking!

Shihan 05-08-2010 03:19 AM

I would shoot it rarely just have it to put in the collection.

Esteban 05-14-2010 12:36 PM

I have had several of these , carbine & long gun & really liked them. 8x56r is the most popular caliber you will see .CHECK before shooting . Ammo used to be cheap,,, but not any longer. Much of it & the clip will be Nazi stamped. There is a group out west that uses these rifles for hunting.

Also, I think " Hornady " makes new ammo in 8 x 56r.

ALSO, the little carbine with surplus ammo has " mucho recoil !"

budman46 08-14-2010 01:46 PM

if one casts reloads, this is a great little gun (i do and i love mine). if not, surplus ammo is getting pricier every day and it is supposed to really kick.

at the price, i might be tempted anyway... :)

Pounce 08-14-2010 03:26 PM

[QUOTE=you might want to get a recoil pad to put on the buttend of this MULE!!!:eek:...shes a kicker w/the surplus ammo.[/QUOTE]

:D This is true! I bought one from SOG about 4/5 yrs ago. I also picked up a case of Nazi ammo. I loaded 2 clips which are similar to M1 Garand clips but they drop out the bottom when empty. Went down to the creek where I have a shooting range and came back up with one still full. Needless to say,I have a good bit of ammo left. Still...a great little rifle! Ron

Esteban 08-15-2010 10:30 AM

LOL ! They do kick ! I still have some ammo as well. A friend has an Enfield Jungle Carbine & it is rough to shoot, too.
The earlier M95's were 8 x50R, the later were upped to 8 x 56R. NOT interchangeable . If I remember right, the larger caliber rifles had a large " S " stamped " on the receiver. I really like these old rifles a lot.