How strong are the action/chamber of Brazilian 30-06 Mausers? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

How strong are the action/chamber of Brazilian 30-06 Mausers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I am also in agreement with the fact Garands are one strong action but designed around a certain bullet weight range, and powder burning curve.
Although I have seen two of them blow the heels out of the receivers with certain blanks or appearing to be blanks. Also I have seen those Mausers rebarreled to other calibers, and rechambered to 8mm/06. Having bought a used Mauser 93, that someone had rebareled using an 03A3 barrel, and chambered in 308 Winchester, it came to me with excessive headspace. I found a new surplus 7 x 57 barrel, and installed it, and it remains good to go with both factory and handloads. No change in head space to this day. Receivers in this 93, is very soft and has only the dual locking lugs lacking a third one.
I wonder if the remark of commercial ammo not fitting may not be from a rebarrel, leaving the chamber short to be finished with a finish reamer for a more exact headspacing? This is very common for barrel makers to use due to various specs, it is easy and more precise way to have the chambers come out correct.