How to ship?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > How to ship?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default How to ship?

I have an 1892 Lebel revolver made in 1901. Can any one tell me how to ship it. "legally"

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9157 Times on 3954 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

Am not a lawyer, so my legal advice is priceless.

A firearm made after 1898 is a firearm- before that, an antique. (muzzleloaders excepted)

A firearm that is having ownership transferred across a state line must be shipped TO a Federal Firearms license holder (dealer or collector). Exception for an inherited firearm, which the Executor of the estate is permiited to ship to the person it was bequeathed to.

Actual shipping- you may NOT mail a handgun unless you are a licensed firearms dealer or manufacturer. You CAN mail rifles and shotguns thru the US mail.

You CAN ship by UPS or FedEx. THEY (not law, their rules) require that it be shipped next day Air, and it must go adult sig required. You will need to take it to a hub, not a UPS store. This is going to run you AROUND $75. You MAY be better off to find a dealer, and pay him to MAIL it for you- flat rate priority mail box. Depending on what he charges for his services.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #3

Thanks C3, I think this will probably discourage the buyer. The pistol is selling for $160 + my Dealer + Postage + His Dealer.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
Paul.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #4

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

You are over thinking this. You can ship the handgun as long as an FFL license accompines it. It could be a signed copy of his dealers license. You may also want to check the ATF rules.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

JP- you are correct- he does not need a FFL to SEND a handgun by common carrier it (unless going into NY State- state law there) But he needs a FFL to MAIL a handgun. When MAILING a handgun, there is a Form 1508 that you complete, under penalty of perjury, attesting that you are a Dealer or Manufacturer. Domestic Mail Manual, Chapter 14, Restricted Mailings. Shipping by common carrier is 18 US Code, section 922.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:18 AM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

A handgun does not need to be shipped by or from an ffl, nor do it need to be accompanied by a copy if their license.

That's typically a requirement by FFL consignee.

You do not need to ship handguns priority overnight/nextday.

Any handgun that shoots a modern cartridge, must be shipped to a license holder. Any modern rifle may be shipped resident to resident, as long as they reside in the same state. Anything crossing state lines must go to a dealer.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-18-2011, 05:36 AM   #7

Ships in the morn Fed-X $12. 3 days ground. I took the receiving FFL to them and they didnt care to see it. Fed X ground. They gave me packaging. No problem. All the formalities were unimportant to them. I could have shipped to Mohammed himself. Almost too easy.

Paul.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

You're right- that was too easy.

Also contrary to their published tarrifs.

FedEx Firearm Shipping Regulations -

Old 02-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #9

I explained to the Fed-X Rep that I wanted to ship within the bounds of the law. #5 on their rules says Fed-X will not accept handguns for ground shipment. They did. I asked if it needed to be sent next day air or overnight the rep said it wasn't necessary. Crap!!

Paul.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I recently shipped a handgun for a friend of mine who had already recieved the FFL from the buyer. I showed a copy of my FFL to the postman and it shipped out for less than 15 bucks. It does not have to go next day through the postal service. UPS had charged that same fella close to $70 the week before. I will ship everything USPS from now on.

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"