Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   How to ship? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/how-ship-38599/)

dteed4094 02-17-2011 02:44 PM

How to ship?

I have an 1892 Lebel revolver made in 1901. Can any one tell me how to ship it. "legally"

c3shooter 02-17-2011 06:52 PM

Am not a lawyer, so my legal advice is priceless.

A firearm made after 1898 is a firearm- before that, an antique. (muzzleloaders excepted)

A firearm that is having ownership transferred across a state line must be shipped TO a Federal Firearms license holder (dealer or collector). Exception for an inherited firearm, which the Executor of the estate is permiited to ship to the person it was bequeathed to.

Actual shipping- you may NOT mail a handgun unless you are a licensed firearms dealer or manufacturer. You CAN mail rifles and shotguns thru the US mail.

You CAN ship by UPS or FedEx. THEY (not law, their rules) require that it be shipped next day Air, and it must go adult sig required. You will need to take it to a hub, not a UPS store. This is going to run you AROUND $75. You MAY be better off to find a dealer, and pay him to MAIL it for you- flat rate priority mail box. Depending on what he charges for his services.

dteed4094 02-17-2011 07:13 PM

Thanks C3, I think this will probably discourage the buyer. The pistol is selling for $160 + my Dealer + Postage + His Dealer.

jpattersonnh 02-17-2011 09:48 PM

You are over thinking this. You can ship the handgun as long as an FFL license accompines it. It could be a signed copy of his dealers license. You may also want to check the ATF rules.

c3shooter 02-17-2011 11:18 PM

JP- you are correct- he does not need a FFL to SEND a handgun by common carrier it (unless going into NY State- state law there) But he needs a FFL to MAIL a handgun. When MAILING a handgun, there is a Form 1508 that you complete, under penalty of perjury, attesting that you are a Dealer or Manufacturer. Domestic Mail Manual, Chapter 14, Restricted Mailings. Shipping by common carrier is 18 US Code, section 922.

willfully armed 02-18-2011 12:18 AM

A handgun does not need to be shipped by or from an ffl, nor do it need to be accompanied by a copy if their license.

That's typically a requirement by FFL consignee.

You do not need to ship handguns priority overnight/nextday.

Any handgun that shoots a modern cartridge, must be shipped to a license holder. Any modern rifle may be shipped resident to resident, as long as they reside in the same state. Anything crossing state lines must go to a dealer.

dteed4094 02-18-2011 05:36 AM

Ships in the morn Fed-X $12. 3 days ground. I took the receiving FFL to them and they didnt care to see it. Fed X ground. They gave me packaging. No problem. All the formalities were unimportant to them. I could have shipped to Mohammed himself. Almost too easy.

c3shooter 02-18-2011 01:07 PM

You're right- that was too easy.

Also contrary to their published tarrifs.

FedEx Firearm Shipping Regulations -

dteed4094 02-18-2011 03:58 PM

I explained to the Fed-X Rep that I wanted to ship within the bounds of the law. #5 on their rules says Fed-X will not accept handguns for ground shipment. They did. I asked if it needed to be sent next day air or overnight the rep said it wasn't necessary. Crap!!

TheOldMan 02-24-2011 04:05 PM

I recently shipped a handgun for a friend of mine who had already recieved the FFL from the buyer. I showed a copy of my FFL to the postman and it shipped out for less than 15 bucks. It does not have to go next day through the postal service. UPS had charged that same fella close to $70 the week before. I will ship everything USPS from now on.