Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > How old is this Iver Johnson ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I see the photo.

I also have a like revolver. My understanding is they were given away when you opened a bank account. Different times.

My grandmother carried it in her apron.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8643 Times on 3743 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

My bad- I was at work earlier. and photo may have been blocked on work computer (Duh!)

Anyway, think I found your revolver- page 57 in Mr. Goforth's reference. Alas, 1904.

And as tight as bankers were back in the day, I doubt they gave away too many of these. While they were not the most expensive gun out there, they were not junk either. They sold for $6. At a time when a Colt Single Action Army was $13. You COULD get a "no name" .22 from Sears for $1, tho.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

SalemCat Likes This 
Old 06-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #13

Likes Given: 7

As an aside, I'm fairly new to collecting, and although I love books, they are a pain to store. The walls of an entire room are already filled with them.

Anyhow, I have broken down and purchased some older Firearms Books. They are inexpensive and still have much good info. Now my point:

These older authors love to denigrate IJ's and H&R's, among others, as "Suicide Specials". What an awful term ! While they may not be SA Engraved Colts with Pearl Handles, these fine old weapons served the average working person very well for many years. While few (fortunately) were ever drawn from their holsters in need, I am certain their possession gave their owners peace-of-mind in turbulent times (like TODAY!).

IMHO the term "Suicide Special" would do us all a favor by commiting that act upon itself.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8643 Times on 3743 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Salem- an excellent point. To me, the IJ and the H&Rs were similar to the bolt action Mossberg shotguns. They were not the guns of a collector (altho I have several of each of the 3 brands)

They WERE the guns of the merchant, shopkeeper, mechanic, farmer- the working stiff. They were durable, reliable, inexpensive-and made their own spot in American history. The term "Owl's Head pistol" is well entrenched.

And an Iver Johnson revolver would become infamous in the murder of President McKinley, and of Robert Kennedy.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 07-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #15

Likes Given: 7

A "British Bull-Dog" killed President Garfield

Fortunately the grips are wooden, and it was clearly not a quality firearm as made by Forehand & Wadsworth of Worcester, Mass (here's one of those).

In fact, the Garfield weapon looks to me like a cheap Belgium gun.

The gun that Hinkley used in his attempt to murder President Reagan was a West German Rohm.

The cheapest and crappiest gun ever made. It was a .22, was sold by Mail Order for about $20 new, and was constructed of Zinc Die Castings, much like the Hubley Car Model Kits of the sixties.

Zinc is great for Model Cars, not so much for a gun.

Teddy Roosevelt was also shot at by a would-be assassin.

I don't know the gun used, but the dent appears to me to be a .32.

Teddy earned his place on Mount Rushmore. He realized America's power, and used it to advance American Interests. He realized the importance of a Canal across Panama, and did what was needed to obtain one. Whether or not other Countries would be "offended" by American Interests did not concern him. He was a great Leader, second only to George Washington: the greatest of all !

Last edited by SalemCat; 07-04-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #16

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemCat
The gun that Hinkley used in his attempt to murder President Reagan was a West German Rohm.

The cheapest and crappiest gun ever made. It was a .22, was sold by Mail Order for about $20 new, and was constructed of Zinc Die Castings, much like the Hubley Car Model Kits of the sixties.

Zinc is great for Model Cars, not so much for a gun. !

The bullet he shot him with was an exploding Velex bullet. They fail about as much as the gun he shot him with. The bullet didn't explode when it hit Reagan. I think I read somewhere it later exploded in a forensics lab.

Last edited by Gizord1; 07-04-2013 at 04:00 PM.
SalemCat Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Salem- an excellent point. To me, the IJ and the H&Rs were similar to the bolt action Mossberg shotguns. They were not the guns of a collector (altho I have several of each of the 3 brands)
Aahhh!! Did someone say bolt action shotguns?
I love bolt action and single shot shotguns, and old 22 rifles.
I've even got an H&R Model 120 Game Gun, 16 gauge bolt action, made in 1940. I carry her along some evenings when I got out to put the chickens up for the night.
When my Dad died I found an old H&R Young America revolver chambered for 22 Short (I think). It's rusty and unfunctioning. I did however inherit his "real" pistol, a Colt Model 1903 Pocket Automatic in 32ACP. Sweet! And beautiful too!

"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill

Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division

SalemCat Likes This