Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   How old is this Iver Johnson ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/how-old-iver-johnson-92932/)

SalemCat 06-26-2013 01:48 PM

How old is this Iver Johnson ?
 
Age please ? Hoping it's a 1898 legal antique.

I just picked up a pleasant little Iver Johnson .32 Hammerless, Nickelled, BP pistol.

All actions work fine; Lockup not rock-solid but still very shootable IMHO.

Last Patent Date 1896.

S/N 22772

http://24.media.tumblr.com/c6e25e37c...c4wmo1_500.jpg

hiwall 06-26-2013 03:56 PM

What is marked on the top of the barrel rib, exactly?
Rule of thumb is - - Owl is looking to the barrel, cylinder is free wheeling when at rest, for black powder cartridges

string1946 06-26-2013 04:05 PM

I'm no expert but will hazard a guess that its a "Safety Automatic Double-Action which were manufactured between 1893 and 1950 in 22, 32CF and 38CF.

SalemCat 06-26-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 1287374)
what is marked on the top of the barrel rib, exactly?
Rule of thumb is - - owl is looking to the barrel, cylinder is free wheeling when at rest, for black powder cartridges

It says: "IVER JOHNSON ARMS & CYCLE WORKS" "FITCHBURG, MASS. U.S.A."

c3shooter 06-26-2013 05:41 PM

Have a copy of Bill Goforth's Book, but it is at the house. Will see what I can look up when I get home. Bill (God rest him) got serial number ranges in there.


And you know- PICTURES would help a lot!

SalemCat 06-26-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1287441)
Have a copy of Bill Goforth's Book, but it is at the house. Will see what I can look up when I get home. Bill (God rest him) got serial number ranges in there.


And you know- PICTURES would help a lot!

Hi ! What picures do you need other than the one I posted ? Thanks for checking the book for me. I love books, but I hesitate to buy one to date a single gun.

hiwall 06-26-2013 06:33 PM

This is all I can find................................

Topbreaks (Hammerless) .32 cal. S&W small frame

Owl is looking to the barrel, for black powder cardridges, free wheeling cylinder

Model 1, First Model

Single top latch, 100'000 were manufactured in 1894, serial number without letter prefix, marked on the top of the barrel rib
IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS FITCHBURG. MASS.U.S.A.
PAT'D.APR.6.86.FEB.15.87.MAY 10.87.DEC.26.93 PAT'S PENDING

Model 1, First Model, first variation

Single top latch, 100'000 were manufactured in 1895, serial number without letter prefix, the difference was the cylinder retainer, marked on the top of the barrel rib
IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS FITCHBURG. MASS.U.S.A.
PAT'D.APR.6.86.FEB.15.87.MAY 10.87.DEC.26.93 PAT'S PENDING

Model 1, First Model, second variation

Single top latch, 50'000 were manufactured in 1896, serial number with B letter prefix, marked on the top of the barrel rib
IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS FITCHBURG. MASS.U.S.A.
PAT'D.APR.6.86.FEB.15.87.MAY 10.87.DEC.26.93 PAT'S PENDING

Model 2, Second Model

Double top latch, manufactured in 1897 and 1898, serial number with B letter prefix, marked on the top of the barrel rib
IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS FITCHBURG. MASS.U.S.A.
PAT'D.APR.6.86.FEB.15.87.MAY 10.87.AUG.25.96 PAT'S PENDING

Model 2, Second Model, second variation

Double top latch, manufactured in 1899, serial number with B letter prefix, new one-piece frame, marked on the top of the barrel rib,
IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS FITCHBURG. MASS.U.S.A.
PAT'D.APR.6.86.FEB.15.87.MAY 10.87.AUG.25.96 PAT'S PENDING

The Second Model Hammerless continued in 1900 with the 2nd variation and stopped in 1908 with the 7th variation. Overall production was 700'000 revolvers.

SalemCat 06-26-2013 07:15 PM

Thanks ! I removed the Grips, and on the frame is stamped L22772.

c3shooter 06-26-2013 07:22 PM

Salem- you seem to be under the impression that you posted a picture. In reality, for all of US, you posted a pizza box (white square, red X) No picture showing for us. For you, computer looks back into where the picture is stored in your computer, and shows it to you. But we can't see it.

Computers are sneaky like that. :)

You cannot copy and paste directly into a forum. Use the little paperclip icon just to the right of the white smiley face that is above where you type.

And things that can help ID an Iver include all markings, the cylinder latch and posts, grips and overall revolver. But with an L prefix think you are later than 1898- sorry.

SalemCat 06-26-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1287493)
Salem- you seem to be under the impression that you posted a picture. In reality, for all of US, you posted a pizza box (white square, red X) No picture showing for us. For you, computer looks back into where the picture is stored in your computer, and shows it to you. But we can't see it.

Computers are sneaky like that. :)

You cannot copy and paste directly into a forum. Use the little paperclip icon just to the right of the white smiley face that is above where you type.

And things that can help ID an Iver include all markings, the cylinder latch and posts, grips and overall revolver. But with an L prefix think you are later than 1898- sorry.

Thanks for the info ! Not the news I wanted, but it is what it is.

I used the Forum's Insert Image Icon, and pasted in http://24.media.tumblr.com/c6e25e37c212d8eaf195a236257fccfa/tumblr_moyo61Ls1P1snc4wmo1_500.jpg . I've posted thousands of images, so I don't know what could be up.

Right now I'm on another computer entirely, and the image on my first post shows up fine.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:45 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.