How long has surplus 8mm been about .30/rd?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > How long has surplus 8mm been about .30/rd?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 05:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How long has surplus 8mm been about .30/rd?

Am trying to evaluate the factors.

Here's the main point:
about how long from now will all Yugo, Rom., Czech Surplus (Not new commercial) 8mm ammo prices (in the US) climb to .40/rd., or more, IF the political situation in central/southeastern Europe remains the same, and also the dollar exchange rate with their currencies remain fairly constant?

Have no idea whether any more imports will come over, and I only got interested in guns (any guns) two years ago, very late-bloomer.

Is US demand for this caliber versus supply increasing at a steady rate? I sold my last MN and just bought my first Mauser (48A).

Last edited by Laufer; 01-23-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2010, 05:50 AM   #2

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Have no idea. I actually had cases, bullets, and dies before I even got my first Mauser. It has eaten nothing but reloads from me.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #3

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Best deal I see for milsurp at this time is 1950's Yugo from the Ammoman. It comes in right about 25 cents a round shipped.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #4

Liked 741 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Prices on all surplus ammo will do nothing but go up. 12 years ago you could find 70rnd bandoliers of 8x57 for $3.00. 1950's Yugo is hit or miss. I had a lot of 1954 that shot great. The other lot of 1955 is a 40% no fire. If you compare 8x57 surplus prices and 8x57 Commercial prices, the surplus is still a deal.

Edit: if you think 8x57 is high, check out 7.5x55 swiss or 7.5x54 french. GP11 Swiss is averaging .60 a round. It was .20 just a couple years ago.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 01-23-2010 at 03:09 PM.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Too many factors to accurately predict, but here are the basic concepts.

The amount of surplus is finite. Companies claim to "discover" forgotten or newly discovered lots, but if a million rounds were made in 1948, only a million rounds exist. Once they're gone...

Alot of surplus comes from weird places. Portugal, Pakistan, etcetera. Sometimes studying history a little clears things up. You may think of a .303 as a purely British rifle, but once you factor in just how far the British Empire was spread, you can see how some of it's ammo comes out of everywhere but England.

As C&R becomes more popular, it becomes subject to fashion. And some really great secrets are revealed. The CZ-82 may be the best example of this. This is C&R eligible, but functions great as a modern carry piece, and out-performs some modern guns. Hence, surplus 9X18 is practically non-existent, and when it can be found, it can cost more than new production stuff.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Too many factors to accurately predict, but here are the basic concepts.

Alot of surplus comes from weird places. Portugal, Pakistan, etcetera. Sometimes studying history a little clears things up. You may think of a .303 as a purely British rifle, but once you factor in just how far the British Empire was spread, you can see how some of it's ammo comes out of everywhere but England.

As C&R becomes more popular, it becomes subject to fashion.

Portugese ammo is not "Weird" Infact it is some of the best Surplus in any caliber. The Sun never sets on the British empire, dispells that one. There is still Brit made MKVII out there, but sadly it suffers from the same issues as the Colonial state ammo that used the same primer compound. HXP MKVII .303 is great ammo and the cases are reloadable.

C&R has been popular here for many years. Older compitition shooters that used .30-06 would use black tip surplus. Armour piercing was the best. I just sold 2-200 lots of 1952 St. Louis arsenal black tip. $140.00 each. That was a deal..
The info you have posted may be your opinion, but is far from fact.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:25 AM   #7

Thanks for your views.
They match and improve upon what I've read elsewhere, and will follow your advice on buying a bit more (only have 1,400 rds.), instead of waiting. Most claim that a new, cheap firing pin spring can solve the 'ftf' glitches.

Would rather buy more 8mm ammo now. The decent M-1 Garand rifles probably won't disappear (at the CMP) by this summer, I suppose.

Nobody here (excluding importers) seems to have any idea whether more Romanian or Yugo even exists in Europe, legal for future export in a large quantity.
Maybe importers don't even know (?).

Last edited by Laufer; 01-24-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
Thanks for your views.
They match and improve upon what I've read elsewhere, and will follow your advice on buying a bit more (only have 1,400 rds.), instead of waiting. Most claim that a new, cheap firing pin spring can solve the 'ftf' glitches.

Would rather buy more 8mm ammo now. The decent M-1 Garand rifles probably won't disappear (at the CMP) by this summer, I suppose.

Nobody here (excluding importers) seems to have any idea whether more Romanian or Yugo even exists in Europe, legal for future export in a large quantity.
Maybe importers don't even know (?).
You just can't tell what will show up next when it comes to ammo. I put a heavier Wolfe spring in my M48a, as the old one was NG. I have 4 8x57 Mausers, Some 1950's yugo goes click in all 4. At 1400 rounds you are doing better than most. Best of luck, JP

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Portugese ammo is not "Weird" Infact it is some of the best Surplus in any caliber. The Sun never sets on the British empire, dispells that one. There is still Brit made MKVII out there, but sadly it suffers from the same issues as the Colonial state ammo that used the same primer compound. HXP MKVII .303 is great ammo and the cases are reloadable.

C&R has been popular here for many years. Older compitition shooters that used .30-06 would use black tip surplus. Armour piercing was the best. I just sold 2-200 lots of 1952 St. Louis arsenal black tip. $140.00 each. That was a deal..
The info you have posted may be your opinion, but is far from fact.
If you reread the post, you will discover that we agree that since England was in alot of countries, it follows that alot of .303 ammo would be found in those countries.

You will also find that I never said that the ammo was weird, but as the first point reflects, the places you find it might not leap to mind as a place you would find a specific caliber. That's where I suggested the history lesson, and still do. It's kind of fascinating to see who carries what, and how it got there.

I never said C&R wasn't popular, I said it was increasing in popularity. I don't have data to back that up beyond discussions with guys that have recently applied. It took them much longer to recieve their liscense than it did me. I'd suggest they contact BATFE, they would, and BATFE told them there wasn't a problem with the app, they were just flooded lately.

If you disagree that C&R is picking up steam, I suppose that's an opinion as well, but I see prices rising on stuff that maintained the same price for years. I don't think it's a leap to say many C&Rs are becoming more scarce.

Everything I post is my opinion. That's not to say it isn't factual. Reread, and I think you'll see we agree on more than we disagree on.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:43 AM   #10

And so Senator Feinstein has little chance of having the UN (or the other group) pay certain eastern Euro countries to destroy surplus 8mm ammo? The Senator has allegedly had some success already.

A Brit/Euro organization has a website (I forgot to bookmark it) where they describe paying various countries to destroy tens, or hundreds of thousands of surplus AKs etc.

Somebody is now paying South Africa to shred good old Lee-Enfield rifles and the ammo etc, among other lands. This is confirmed by people at 'Surplusrifle' and 'Gunboards', who either live there or have friends there.

Last edited by Laufer; 01-26-2010 at 07:11 AM.