hex receiver mosin vs round receiver - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > hex receiver mosin vs round receiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Browse any Mosin forum, this is such a known variable that there are also several tips and tricks published for polishing the chamber to keep that lacquer from sticking. It does need something to stick TO, it can sometimes do it on it's own, but it's worse if it has something to stick to. Seems to be the worst when there's leftover cosmo in the chamber.

It never happened to me though. Mine was in pretty good shape when I got it. The seller bought a batch from an importer and did a pretty decent clean up before bringing them to the gun show.

But I'll tell you what. Since some people have no googlefu, or very weak googlefu, I googled it for you.

I got rhymes apparently.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lacquer+sticking+in+mosin+chamber&oq=lacq uer+sticking+in+mosin+chamber&aqs=chrome..69i57.97 31j0j8&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #22

Liked 2181 Times on 1288 Posts
Likes Given: 473

I am familiar with a lot of Mosin owners experiencing problems with sticky bolts once their Mosins warm up. I just haven't seen folks rule out the possibility that the problem was actually not from the chamber, vice the cartridge coating. Most problems seem to go away after a thourough chamber cleaning. I do know that some of the common gun solvents won't disolve waxes. Russian cosmiline is made up of bees wax, kerosene and oil. Many solvents will desolve the petroleum products but leave the wax behind. tha wax aill definitely melt in heat, and then can re solidify as the gun cools. I've made it a common practice to use a chamber brush and some mineral spirits, or acetone to clean the chamber before firing guns that have been stored in cosmoline. Never had any problems with Lacquer or polymer coated cases in Mosins, or Mausers.

Has a friend who said he had sticky bolt problems with hsi Mosin using the copper washed ammo. We scrubbed his chamber using the method above and his problems went away.

So I don't know that folks have really rulled out other possibilites other than laquer coating melting.

It could be thta is what is happening. I just haven't seen the scientific method applied to it, and I don't have a Mosin that sticks to perform the test with myself.

I should try melting the lacquer coating with a flame and find out what the actual surface tempurature is that is required to get it to melt.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 11-27-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1927 Times on 1335 Posts
Likes Given: 985

Every rifle will have a "syndrome" when it's dirty enough. A 22 pistol will do it. Clean it, and the "melting" case won't melt. We get over educated from googlefu and blognet. But I looked up the link. It says the reason is dirty chamber "aggravated" by lacquer coating. Okay. The Mosin is no more demanding than any contemporary bolt action. A Russian milsurp cartridge does not melt in the rifle built for it.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #24

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

If you went to the link and read one thing, you're doing it wrong. The link was to an entire Google search. And, is that not what I freaking said to begin with? You're trying to pick a fight where there is none.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #25

Liked 2181 Times on 1288 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Every rifle will have a "syndrome" when it's dirty enough. A 22 pistol will do it. Clean it, and the "melting" case won't melt. We get over educated from googlefu and blognet. But I looked up the link. It says the reason is dirty chamber "aggravated" by lacquer coating. Okay. The Mosin is no more demanding than any contemporary bolt action. A Russian milsurp cartridge does not melt in the rifle built for it.
He wan't indicating that the round would melt, but that the coating would melt. I can't rule it out as a possibility. I' was just indicating that there may be more than one cause.

No need for any of us to start a fight over it. I just think it would be nice if a actual study were done eliminating variables and isolating causes.

If Lacquer coatings are more prone to aggrivating the problem, then that is a significant finding as well.

I for one would like to get smarter on the subject and not just accept one given possibility.

I think all three of us have a valid point of view or at least we each have a hypothesis.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1927 Times on 1335 Posts
Likes Given: 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
If you went to the link and read one thing, you're doing it wrong. The link was to an entire Google search. And, is that not what I freaking said to begin with? You're trying to pick a fight where there is none.
That was not my intention. I've run lacquerbox ammo through AR15's and AK semiautos. They got real hot, but if they jammed it wasn't because of sticky shellcases.

I've shot enough Mosin. When the receiver is dirty, it can seize any metal case. If the lacquer makes any difference in theory, in practice it is negligible. People wonder why a 70-year old rifle won't shoot straight out of the crate. I guarantee you when the receiver is degreased and deburred of the 70 years worth of barnacles, the lacquered steel cartridges will run like clockwork.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #27

Liked 2482 Times on 1420 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

The hex receiver was built in a time when there was less

pressure on the work force. They are more attractive to the collector,

and generally considered to be more accurate. Is the average round

receiver less accurate? Unknown. Can you get or find a round receiver

as accurate as the hexes? Apparently, yes.

The rub here is: Would you rather have a rifle built in a less tense atmosphere

at the factory, (hex) or would you rather take your chances with a

rifle which was slapped together at the height, and frantic pace,

of wartime production?(round)

IME, all matching serials, in any event, wins the race. But if you want

a solid value, which is practical for field use, on today's terms,

you want to spend as much as you might for a Ruger, Remington,

or Savage, and find a mint combloc M-44. These tough little carbines

are surprisingly capable, and if you can find one with a clean bore,

it will be reasonably accurate.

Last edited by therewolf; 11-28-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #28

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Okay so today i checked out,a,hex mosin at my big 5 its 209$ dollars out the door including tax i shined a flash light through and looked down the barrel it looked smooth and black the rifling looked more like faded swirls. the rifling grooves were not as deep as modern rifles. is this normal for a mosin? is this how they were made how should a mosin barrel look? It also had a small triangle on the but stock so maybs its tula?

Old 11-28-2013, 03:27 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Okay so today i checked out,a,hex mosin at my big 5 its 209$ dollars out the door including tax i shined a flash light through and looked down the barrel it looked smooth and black the rifling looked more like faded swirls. the rifling grooves were not as deep as modern rifles. is this normal for a mosin? is this how they were made how should a mosin barrel look? It also had a small triangle on the but stock so maybs its tula?
Don't do it. Mosin Nagants 91/30s are only worth about $100-$130 (including hex receiver ones) unless there is something extra special about them.

Here you go. Even with shipping and the FFL transfer fee, you will come out ahead. (you can have them hand select one with the best bore, but it's $30 extra)

http://www.jgsales.com/mosin-nagant-91-30-hex-receiver-rifle,-russian-mfg,-7.62x54r,-c-r,-used.-p-1524.html

As for the bore, shiny sharp rifling is ideal, but not completely necessary. I wouldn't suggest picking one with a barrel like trip's (even know it somehow was accurate. ). Mine has a dark bore, with sharp rifling. It's accuracy is fine. Try to avoid ones with pitting.

Many will also be counter bored (mine is). This means that the first inch or so of the barrel has been drilled out due to damage from the cleaning rod. (pic below). This can effect accuracy somewhat, but a counter bored rifle can still be accurate.

Counter bored barrel on left.

One last piece of advice. Mosins are more accurate with the bayonet attached since they were sighted in with them on, and intended to be shot that way.

Have fun with your new rifle.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:28 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

BTW, here's a pic of a Mosin's rifling.