help w/ an enfield

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > help w/ an enfield

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default help w/ an enfield

hey guys, hoping someone can help me out ID'ing a lee enfield. sorry, no pictures. i just got an enfield from my father in law. i know there are magazines in the house but the mother in law can't find them right now and the house is 2000 miles away so i can't really go find them myself. so i'm hoping to pick up some aftermarket mags for the rifle. i'm completely new to enfields. i know there are several different numbers and several different marks. the only aftermarket mags that i've seen are from pro mag, which i hate. but it's not a duty carry gun so i can mess with the mags and tweek till they feed right. pro mag has 2 different mags for enfields that i can tell. i just need to figure out which 1's to get. so on to ID'ing the gun. there are stamps all over the gun. i think the stamp on the wrist is probably the most significant. it's stamped:
crown (picture not word)
G.R.
B.S.A.C (looks like a little, underlined 0)
SHTLE
III (can't tell if its a star of david or an asterisk)

so let me know if that stamp tells anybody anything. or if there's any other info that i need to provide to determine No1MkIII, etc, etc. The gun has been sporterized so I don't really see any collectible value to it. i'm actually thinking of cutting it down to a 16" gun just to bang around the truck. If anybody has any better suggestions than the pro mag mags I'm all ears. thanks for any help you all can provide.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 11

GR = George Rex
BSAC = British Small Arms Company
1918 = year of original manufacture
SHTLE = Short Lee Enfield

Per Wikipedia, "...During the First World War, the standard SMLE Mk III was found to be too complicated to manufacture (an SMLE Mk III rifle cost the British Government £3/15/-), and demand was outstripping supply, so in late 1915 the Mk III* was introduced, which incorporated several changes, the most prominent of which were the deletion of the magazine cut-off, and the long range volley sights. The windage adjustment capability of the rear sight was also dispensed with, and the cocking piece was changed from a round knob to a serrated slab. Rifles with some or all of these features present are found, as the changes were implemented at different times in different factories and as stocks of existing parts were used."

Last edited by 4thPointOfContact; 06-25-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Enfield (or Ishapore in this case) Scouts can be fun, especially if the barrels have been properly shortened. This isn't mine; mine wears a FN-FAL flash supressor because you never know when you need to put a bayonet on a carbine.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1337 Times on 908 Posts
Likes Given: 1421

http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/history/markings/

When all else fails.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #5

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 15

There are a few Mk I No III surplus magazines for sale on Gunbroker @$47+. IIRC Mk 4 No I mags do not work in your Mk I No III.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thPointOfContact View Post
GR = George Rex
BSAC = British Small Arms Company
1918 = year of original manufacture
SHTLE = Short Lee Enfield

Per Wikipedia, "...During the First World War, the standard SMLE Mk III was found to be too complicated to manufacture (an SMLE Mk III rifle cost the British Government £3/15/-), and demand was outstripping supply, so in late 1915 the Mk III* was introduced, which incorporated several changes, the most prominent of which were the deletion of the magazine cut-off, and the long range volley sights. The windage adjustment capability of the rear sight was also dispensed with, and the cocking piece was changed from a round knob to a serrated slab. Rifles with some or all of these features present are found, as the changes were implemented at different times in different factories and as stocks of existing parts were used."
Ok this helped some. The asterisk on the last line of my stamp doesn't look like this. I'm gonna guess it's a star of david. So I guess I've got a MkIII rifle. How do I tell which number? I've looked at the all about enfields site. Maybe it's just me but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in there. Anybody know an easy way to determine which number of rifle you've got?

And the crown on mine is different than this 1 if that means anything.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thPointOfContact View Post

Enfield (or Ishapore in this case) Scouts can be fun, especially if the barrels have been properly shortened. This isn't mine; mine wears a FN-FAL flash supressor because you never know when you need to put a bayonet on a carbine.
This is a good looking rifle. I don't think I can do this to mine though. My rear site is mounted to the barrel where the scout mount would go. I'm not willing to give up my irons for optics. I've heard some of the other enfields had their rear sight mounted to the back of the reciever. Could you give me a close up of the rear site to see if it would be possible to do to mine?

Disregard: I just saw it wasn't yours. If yours is set up the same way as far as scout mount and rear site, a picture showing how your rear site is mounted would be great. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

You seem to have a Smelly- SMLE- Short, Magazine, Lee Enfield.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/195680.htm

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/rrm-leeenfieldmkiii10rdmagazine.aspx

http://www.brpguns.com/smle-no-1-mk-3-stock-magazine-parts/

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #9

Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 66

BSA is defined here. (When I was into British bikes, BSA meant "bastard stalled again".)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Small_Arms_Company

Old 06-25-2014, 11:51 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Sort of like "Why do the British drink warm beer?"

A. Lucas also makes refrigerators......

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This