Help IDing French Percussion Lock - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Help IDing French Percussion Lock

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: hoboken
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola85 View Post
Ugh. Never thought this process would be so difficult. Maybe I need to contact a museum curator.
some guns are difficult to appraise ,this is one ,I personaly think few people can, unless there is a book with a picture of that type of lock or the proofmarks,let us know if you find out
Reinhard
Reinhard is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:56 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Desert Hills,Arizony
Posts: 774
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Dude, you live in Nevada, take it over to that Pawn Stars shop on TV, let his expert tell you what it is, they love old guns!
The Clark County Museum Curator often appears as a guest on the show to ID an item

Last edited by billdeserthills; 01-14-2011 at 04:59 AM.
billdeserthills is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vegas
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
Dude, you live in Nevada, take it over to that Pawn Stars shop on TV, let his expert tell you what it is, they love old guns!
The Clark County Museum Curator often appears as a guest on the show to ID an item
Curator: Well this rifle is probably worth around $3,000
Pawn Stars guy: Well, I'll give you $800 for it
Lola85 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vegas
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
some guns are difficult to appraise ,this is one ,I personaly think few people can, unless there is a book with a picture of that type of lock or the proofmarks,let us know if you find out
Reinhard
I really don't know where else to look. I've searched the internet for weeks.
Lola85 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: hoboken
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola85 View Post
I really don't know where else to look. I've searched the internet for weeks.
you will only find the answer in books ,did some more research on this gun ,the lock on your gun is called a Miqueletlock, a word originated from the Catalan area ,miquelete ,this lock is typical mediterranean and invented by the Spanish,around the 17th century Italy developed a simular lock and named it a Roman lock , your gun has such a lock and is probly made in one of these countrys ,the locks where used untill mid 19 th century
and it looks like a real skilled gunsmith made it into a percussion lock
my guess for value ,between $500 and $850

Last edited by Reinhard; 01-14-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Reinhard is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vegas
Posts: 14
Default

Thanks, good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
you will only find the answer in books ,did some more research on this gun ,the lock on your gun is called a Miqueletlock, a word originated from the Catalan area ,miquelete ,this lock is typical mediterranean and invented by the Spanish,around the 17th century Italy developed a simular lock and named it a Roman lock , your gun has such a lock and is probly made in one of these countrys ,the locks where used untill mid 19 th century
and it looks like a real skilled gunsmith made it into a percussion lock
my guess for value ,between $500 and $850
Lola85 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vegas
Posts: 14
Default

Emailed one of the guys from Pawn Stars.

Quote:
An antique Spanish percussion hunting long gun, circa. 1850.

As for value; RETAIL $300-400.00 +/-, WHOLESALE to a Dealer, half retail.

Thanks !

Sean Rich
Tortuga Trading Inc.
Lola85 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: hoboken
Posts: 366
Default

thanks for the info,good luck with your rifle
Reinhard is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
How volatile are percussion caps? Carbine Blackpowder & Musket 12 10-05-2010 03:52 AM
Help identify percussion musket geoben Blackpowder & Musket 4 09-20-2010 11:03 PM
Need help IDing Savage 99 99_22-250 General Rifle Discussion 2 01-05-2010 07:17 PM
French Mas? JiroZero713 Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 11 12-29-2009 02:00 AM
percussion caps Obamardo Blackpowder & Musket 1 10-17-2007 07:16 PM



Newest Threads