Help Identifying a Rifle

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Help Identifying a Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help Identifying a Rifle

Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forum, and need some help figuring out what type of rifle I have.

My Grandfather served in the Philippines during World War II. When I was a young boy he used to show me all his rifles, and where he kept them hidden. Once my grandfather passed away, I realized I was the only one that knew the rifles even existed, and I showed my parents where they were. One of them I found out is an old single shot .22 garden gun. This other one, I can't for the life of my figure it out, its an old bolt action rifle, and the only markings on it are in front of the bolt, J 9064 I believe. Does anyone have any idea what type of rifle this is? Thanks! Hopefully I put this in the right forum.

By jk178206 at 2011-01-11

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8926 Times on 3867 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

To be honest, picture size is so large I kinda had to run back and forth to get a look at the rifle (opposite of what we usually see- a postage stamp sized pic taken in bad light with a cell phone camera!)

However, I am fairly sure you have an Arisaka, type 99. If so, here is some info on decyphering markings. Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II

If you want to try shooting it, PLEASE have a competent riflesmith go over the rifle first- some of the rifles made at the very end of the war are simply not safe to shoot using anything- but when we were not bombing the hell out of Japan, the Arisaka was a well made, very strong action.

Anyone else? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

PS- welcome to the forum- when you get a minute, please stop over in the intro section, and say howdedoo.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

action is pretty short.

22 trainer?

have you removed the stock or buttplate to see if there are anymore markings?

Whats the size of the bore at muzzle?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It is Japanese.

It is not an Arisaka Type 38 (6.5 x 50) or a Type 99 (7.7 mm), the bolt and the reciever are wrong (the bolt handle is way too far forward), and the reciever looks much different than the T-38 or T-99.

It looks like a Model I, made by the Italians for the Japanese Navy .

The Model I Rifle

TXnorton

Old 01-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 12

TXnorton hit it. It's a model 1 (or type 1) Japanese rifle. Made by (probably)
Beretta for the Japanese. It's a blend of Arisaka and Carcano features. Caliber is probably 6.5x50 Jap.

A question for the experts---does the type 1 use gain twist(carcano)
or conventional (arisaka) rifling?

Old 01-13-2011, 01:46 AM   #6

Thanks guys, the other forums I post on usually size the pictures down to a decent size and not something that takes up the whole page. I have no intentions on firing this rifle, beacuase the plate that holds the follower is missing a screw and can fly out, but thanks for the advice! Its definetly not a 22 trainer, it is a larger bore than that.

I'll keep looking into it, thanks for the help guys!