Help in Dallas, TX specifically...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Help in Dallas, TX specifically...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 04:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Help in Dallas, TX specifically...

With my C&R forms in hand, I went into the most local Police station - which is a main hub for our city's dept. I know that I need to have the local chief do something (sign the forms maybe?), but I'm not really 100% what, exactly. The funny thing is, neither did they!

So, I decided that I can either call downtown to the biggest police building in town and hope they have dealt with C&R's before, or I can ask if others here know where to go in Dallas? Any help?!?

And, what exactly am I wanting the chief to do? And do i mail a check to the atf with the forms and the $30? Any faq's that have better info that the atf.gov website?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Don't bother with all that paper work crap... Just collect and enjoy.

Hell, you can buy a black powder gun as if it were a toy. No paper work, no NICS, no nothin'. You pay for it at the same counter you pay for your socks & underwear.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

You don't have to have anyone sign off on the C&R, you just send a copy of the app to local law enforcement. They don't get to approve you, they just are getting notified that you have applied for the license.

9x18=Makarov

Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
You don't have to have anyone sign off on the C&R, you just send a copy of the app to local law enforcement. They don't get to approve you, they just are getting notified that you have applied for the license.
Oh, I thought I went in and they put their signature on it that they were informed. So, the atf will just "trust" that I notified the chief of police?!? I WILL send him a copy... just saying... they don't trust ANYONE.

OK, so I can mail him a copy of these forms, put his name/info in the correct box, and them mail this off to the AFt with my $30? Cool. Oh, why does the faq page for c&r say to NOT sign the original copy?!?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

You don't sign the original because you'll make copies of it to send away to vendors. You only get one, and you'll need plenty more, so you make copies and sign the copies. Sellers require a "wet" signature to prove your license is valid. No copies of signatures.

9x18=Makarov

Old 11-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9212 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Send a copy of your app to the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (usually Chief of Police in a city) with cover letter that basically says " By this letter I am advising you that I am applying for a Curio & Relic Federal Firearms license. Per Federal regulations I am supplying you with an informational copy of my application, No action is required by you. Thank you."

When you get your C&R, send a signed copy to your favorite wholesalers, ask them to keep on file. Many offer a discount to C&R holders.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:04 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well then, that sounds easy enough. I guess I'll send it off next weekend. How much of the form should I copy to send to the Chief of Police? The entire thing or just the front page?

Old 11-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Send a copy of the whole app.

9x18=Makarov