Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Heads up on C&R parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 175 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default Heads up on C&R parts

Two weeks ago I ordered some stuff for an SKS and an Enfield. Got the stuff today. Well, almost all of it. Some stuff on the website apparently was out of stock (about half the order). I needed some new buttplate screws for the Enfield as the screw heads were smooshed so badly the slots were closed up. I got the replacement screws only to find that they were almost as bad as the ones I have. After some work with a hacksaw and some small files, I now have screws with slots. And for bonus points, one screw is steel and one is brass. I had foolishly expected to receive parts in good working order; now I know better. I hope your luck is better.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Soooooooo, who did you order from again?

Is it possible they were actually bears in disguise?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #3

Liked 175 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Here are some hints. They advertise in Shotgun News and they are located in Easton PA. Their ads typically run about 5 pages. I am not sure about the policy of this site as it pertains to negative remarks about vendors, so I am being cautious.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
Here are some hints. They advertise in Shotgun News and they are located in Easton PA. Their ads typically run about 5 pages. I am not sure about the policy of this site as it pertains to negative remarks about vendors, so I am being cautious.
I am not a mod, but if it is a reasonable complaint, I doubt anyone would be upset. (see my signature line )

If anyone is bothered, the ModSquad will do a cleanup of the post.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #5

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I would complain and see what they do then spear there name in the dirt if they don't do anything good or helpful it's a sound complaint.

Proud man named Bear sittin right here and they only time I go running through the woods is when I'm not workin and I don't bight everyone I see that would just be rude

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #6

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

The screws you ordered were $1.50 each. The picture shows a blued screw. They are used parts. Have you ever seen a parade drill? That is why the screws were crushed. There are no "new" parts for 50+ year old rifles. If you want a resonable replacement, look for the word reproduction. Sarco is an upstanding company. They have always met or exceeded my expectations on parts. Sorry they screwed up your $3.00 investment. No pun intended.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
The screws you ordered were $1.50 each. The picture shows a blued screw. They are used parts. Have you ever seen a parade drill? That is why the screws were crushed. There are no "new" parts for 50+ year old rifles. If you want a resonable replacement, look for the word reproduction. Sarco is an upstanding company. They have always met or exceeded my expectations on parts. Sorry they screwed up your $3.00 investment. No pun intended.
It doesn't really matter if they were $3.00, or $300. Geting screwed is geting screwed.
Did the ad say that the screws might be damaged? Did they say that they might be a mixture of blued and brass screws? Did they give him any warning that half of the stuff he ordered was out of stock? (hell, they could at LEAST have tried to call him)

Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #8

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
It doesn't really matter if they were $3.00, or $300. Geting screwed is geting screwed.
Did the ad say that the screws might be damaged? Did they say that they might be a mixture of blued and brass screws? Did they give him any warning that half of the stuff he ordered was out of stock? (hell, they could at LEAST have tried to call him)
Actually he should have called them to begin with. If you have specific needs they will do their best to accommodate you, call when placing your order. Posting before calling and asking if they could replace them was foolish. If he would have called they would have taken care of it. Go on their site and see for yourself. It does not specify weather the screws are steel, iron, or brass. Without that info, would you have called?? It is an 800 number. Now he got so screwed. Someone took apart a basket case rifle, the parts were cataloged, stocked, picked for the order, packed and shipped. All for the outrageous fee of $1.50. And you think they should have spent more $$ to call him. I call and talk to them all the time when placing orders, especially if I have question. Parts are used military and over 50 years old. If you want perfect, buy a new rifle.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #9

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

I've never had a problem with sarco

Old 03-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Actually he should have called them to begin with. If you have specific needs they will do their best to accommodate you, call when placing your order. Posting before calling and asking if they could replace them was foolish. If he would have called they would have taken care of it. Go on their site and see for yourself. It does not specify weather the screws are steel, iron, or brass. Without that info, would you have called?? It is an 800 number. Now he got so screwed. Someone took apart a basket case rifle, the parts were cataloged, stocked, picked for the order, packed and shipped. All for the outrageous fee of $1.50. And you think they should have spent more $$ to call him. I call and talk to them all the time when placing orders, especially if I have question. Parts are used military and over 50 years old. If you want perfect, buy a new rifle.
Common sense says that if you order two screws for the same gun, that you'd want them mad from the same material. I guess common sense isn't so common nowadays.
Also, if they place an ad that says they have something, then it is their duty to inform the buyer if they are out of stock.
No, I wouldn't have called, and I would have been pissed when I got a brass screw and a steel screw. They SHOULD have said that they had both in the add.
You shouldn't HAVE to call someone to get your order right. I have used several businesses that I have never called, and they always get my orders right.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 03-22-2013 at 08:10 AM.