Have any of you Mosin lovers done a "heavy target barrel" swap? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Have any of you Mosin lovers done a "heavy target barrel" swap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1384 Times on 848 Posts
Likes Given: 325

The original post asked if any "Mosin Lovers" have tried....

To what end would you make this change? By the time you got through with the project you would have enough in it to buy a good used commercial sporting rifle.

Most Mosin Lovers would consider it to be a sin to change out a functional barrel for a "heavy" barrel. I am a Mosin fan for sure, but it is my belief that if a man buys a rifle he has the right to "bubba" it any way he wants. During my last trip to a gunshop I saw a Remington M91 that had had the stock "modernized" and some other modifications. The value of that rifle went from $350.00 to the selling price of $100.00.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #12

Liked 702 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post

To what end would you make this change? By the time you got through with the project you would have enough in it to buy a good used commercial sporting rifle.

Most Mosin Lovers would consider it to be a sin to change out a functional barrel for a "heavy" barrel. I am a Mosin fan for sure, but it is my belief that if a man buys a rifle he has the right to "bubba" it any way he wants. During my last trip to a gunshop I saw a Remington M91 that had had the stock "modernized" and some other modifications. The value of that rifle went from $350.00 to the selling price of $100.00.
What you are saying does happen. I also can't see the + side of a HB. But hey, that is just me. The 91/30 is very well balenced IMHO, but again, that is just me. People took K98k's and sportered them for years, and years. Some are done very nicely, others look like they were done in Bubba's shed. I'm not passing any judgement here. There may be new life for an old beater. I'd rather see that then a PD hacking it in half and melting it. Can't always judge something w/ limited info and no hands on inspection.
I actually sportered a 1942 Swede M38 for my son. Why? It was a miss matched beaten, cracked stock part GG part Husqvarna rifle. I over paid for it since it needed a home. Now it will last another 100 years. I put 290.00 into it bringing it back to life. Sometime our passion for firearms gets in the way of our love for them. There are times when a change brings new life.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post

It doesn't seem like it would be an expensive project when they are selling the rifles for under $100 and the barrel for $80. Admitedly, i'm no gunsmith, but the parts don't seem to pricey. I think it would be a more reasonable project if it was started with less of a rifle, one with a beat barrel or no barrel.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:36 AM   #14

Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Classic arms has the Barrels and recievers for $99. The barrels are beautiful, but would have to be fit. The only way to do it is all the way. And you end up with a sub MOA custom Mosin Nagant for about $1000. Sure you can do it cheaper but where do you want to cut corners?

Timmney trigger $100
High end stock $200-$300
Nice reworked bolt $75
Scope <$400
Gunsmith at least $200

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:40 AM   #15

What about old fashioned fun? Something to do? Why does it have to make sense? Come on there is all kinds of "stupid", "bubba", "insane" whatever projects all over the shooting web sites. Most I don't get but someone does. I know a guy who spent a year hand filing and shaping poorly forged parts to make a Hepburn receiver. It was beautiful but he could have bought 2 new ones but they never would have measured up in his mind. And he had fun, learned things, developed skills.

Cost? Who cares if you decide to do it and have the skills or friends who do? Buy the receiver and barrel. I have a friend that could do the metal work and have fun. He's retired and likes doing that stuff. Bing bang whoopla - you have a barreled action. Spend some time on a stock trigger. Now you have a workable trigger. Stock would take some thought but I assume it could be done with some gouges and files.

A little time and work - A Mosin Target rifle. Fun to shoot. Fun to show. Not expensive. A break from monotony. Maybe a Mosin that shoots 1/2 MOA. Could win bets, make you rich, buy an island, live in luxury. Whose to judge?

The Dude abides

Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #16

Liked 1384 Times on 848 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
It doesn't seem like it would be an expensive project when they are selling the rifles for under $100 and the barrel for $80. Admitedly, i'm no gunsmith, but the parts don't seem to pricey. I think it would be a more reasonable project if it was started with less of a rifle, one with a beat barrel or no barrel.
Removing a Mosin barrel without the proper jigs and wrenches might be chore. If you had some good tools and a bit of knowledge you should be able to do it. Drilling and tapping for a scope mount is something I wouldn't do and the headspace issues would probably require a competent smith. But, I have to admit, with the receiver and the barrel available is would be a neat project.

I wouldn't trash a functional rifle to build it, but that is just me.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #17

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'd consider it. Junk Mosin $50 to $80, barrel and receiver $90 and another $50 for a gunsmith to check and adjust the head space. The rest is just putting it all together. I drilled tapped my current Mosin for a scope mount and modified the bolt handle and steamed out the dents in the stock, now the kid won't let me sell it.