Guns as an investment? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Guns as an investment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The problem with firearms as investments (along with all collectables and some investments) is folks get so caught up in the collecting and maintaining the collection that they end up dying before they sell the collection for the monitary gain they wanted for the investment aspect. Then the kids or wife sells the collection for less than it is actually worth making it a net loss. MHO

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Old 09-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #42

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xring3 View Post
The problem with firearms as investments (along with all collectables and some investments) is folks get so caught up in the collecting and maintaining the collection that they end up dying before they sell the collection for the monitary gain they wanted for the investment aspect. Then the kids or wife sells the collection for less than it is actually worth making it a net loss. MHO
My wife and I actually talked about this the other day! Our business is doing very well right now and I have been buying a few more than normal because we can afford it. After some discussion I told her that IF we ever hit upon hard times that I have no problem selling all of my collection except for my Garand and Mosin sniper. Her and I both realize that my collection is worth much more than what I paid (I never ever pay full collector price...I just sit back patiently and wait for an excellent deal) and I also have a list of what they are worth (and am going to update that list every 6 months) so if I do pass away she knows what their real value are.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 1100 Posts
Likes Given: 560

The value and desirability of guns fluctuates so rapidly no one could keep up with it. In the late 70"s and early 80's every pawn shop in town had M1 rifles for $100 or less and no one wanted them. Even today I don't understand why everyone wants a M1. I could think of at least a thousand guns I would want to purchase before an M1 would even get on my list. Korean war vets all hated the M1 of any flavor. We took their word that they are a POS and left them in the pawn shop.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 09-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #44

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

M1 garands are pretty darn sexy they do not suck at all id like to own one not too many 30-06 semi autos out their with that kinda history

Old 09-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 1100 Posts
Likes Given: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
M1 garands are pretty darn sexy they do not suck at all id like to own one not too many 30-06 semi autos out their with that kinda history
The 30/06 M1 is a pretty rare bird. Most of the M1 rifles were 30 cal, not 30/06. There is a huge difference between the two cartridges. The 30 cal makes a decent pistol cartridge.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 09-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #46

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

If you buy a massed produced modern gun it is not going to win you a lottery in ten or twenty years. Collector editions, if they catch on, may make some serious money if socked away in the box, unfired, with the papers. (personally I don't give a damn about a gun I can't shoot)

A standard, refurbished 1942 Mosin-Nagant 91/30 may keep up with inflation over time or might not. Get a good deal on an authentic PU-sniper or an SVT-40 today and you might make a nice buck on it in a few years, and certainly shouldn't lose money on your purchase. The same goes with the Finnish Mosin-Nagants that were made in the thousands or tens of thousands rather than the tens of millions.

All original American WWI or WWII guns will increase in value over time. (they aren't making any more of them)

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #47
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

I may be wrong but here is my take. If SHTF and times get terrible. It would be pretty hard to take a 1 ounce gold coin worth $1400.00 and pay for something that costs $300.00 to aid in survival. Or to break a piece off worth $300.00. The ultra rich no doubt would be aware of this and would in all probability take full advantage of it knowing we were in a hard place trying to get cash to buy subsistence items for our family to survive. For example you need $300 worth of food then give me the coin. I would give them a gun or ammunition in trade. I think guns, ammo, replacement parts, toilet paper and other items to be much more of a bartering tool and certainly in demand. You can't eat gold, it is hard to divide up and most people would not have a source to fairly exchange it. Might not even be able to exchange it for dollars if they were of no value. Guns will protect you, your family and friends, get food, and above all a great bartering tool as well as ammunition that would be needed regarding protection and hunting for our families. And as previously stated regarding money if it is even relative or of value at all. The guns and ammunition are. I have several guns that are a great investments and generated much more money than money in the bank over the years. Also when I leave this earth the family can enjoy the investment and the pleasure of shooting them. If you remeber not to many months ago a $750.00 AR was bringing up to $2500.00. A brick of 22s $130.00 as crazy as it is. What do you think it would be like during SHTF. And as stupid as the prices were they may be worth more than that in the future when the supply dries up. Kind of like Bread and Milk before a hurricane. NONE on the shelf!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 09-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #48

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Guns are fun to buy, own, trade and shoot. Any rationalization to justify our addiction is nice to point to, especially to our wives. Many people make a small fortune dealing in guns...unfortunately, they started with a large fortune