Guns as an investment? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Guns as an investment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 985 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 633

Indy, I'm 36, do I count as "young generation"? You know, I had no one to get me into guns, it is just something that was in me. You can take it to the bank that when I have a kid, he/she Will be brought into the fold. I would be surprised if this sort of thing is not handed down in gun families.

One thought: Every generation changes traditions a little. Guns your generation liked is not always the guns the next generation liked. My guess would be that black guns will be the rage with the next generation.

For the record, I am growing an affinity for SA pistols. I wouldn't mind having one, but probably can't afford one.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #32

Liked 327 Times on 182 Posts

That was what I was leaning towards. The AR will be the Mosin of people under 25. They won't be interested in the K98 and anyone that knows what it is will be gone and passed.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:05 AM   #33

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Fine firearms always remain popular regardless of the Generation. The 100 + year old Mosin rifles are the same age as the Mauser Mdl.98. There have been tons of surplus arms shipped to the U.S. from the beginning of our nation. Only a few have remained as collectors firearms. The Mausers have made that class. The better "Battle" rifles were used to build fine sporters. Will the Russian Nagant make that prestigious class of arms?

Old 03-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #34

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36 View Post
Throwing this out there... This current young generation and the one that follows...do they like guns? Do they shoot? Do they plan to own guns? Have they already been brainwashed against them? Do they even know what a K98 is? A 1903 Springfield? The Mosin? The Arisaka? Do they care? Are they reading "The Shotgun News"?

Once all the old guys die off who is buying all those old vintage bolt-actions? Will they be worth anything? I don't know. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. A bunch of liberal freedom haters might not be interested in a Russian revolver from their great grandfather's era. Just playing the opposite side. Anyone ever think about that?

Most of the people I know that are buying guns are white men over 40, myself included. I stood in line for hours at the most recent gun show and judging by whom was in the line with me I'd say I'm right. My Grandfather gave me an A3-03. My nephew (who is 16) has no idea what that is and he certainly isn't in the market for a Colt SA Army with history. So I ask, can the current crop and the next and the next be counted on to keep gun collecting alive? Will any of them want to buy our wares? Or are they too busy wearing skinny pants and feeling sorry for themselves.
At 28 I consider myself part of the younger generation. My parents had no interest in firearms, and my mother would not allow them in the house. I was not even allowed to have a pellet gun. I did not learn about firearms or fire a firearm until I enlisted in the marine corps at 19. I am now an avid shooter/firearms enthusiast, as are all my friends. All of my children are still too young to shoot, but as soon as they are old enough they will be tought firearms safety and how to shoot properly. All of my firearms will be handed down to my children when I go.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #35

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Glad this thread was created! Before I started collecting, my wife and I talked about the reasons for collecting (I collect WWII weaponry). Besides the historical value, we felt that it would be a good investment as well (we talked about it just the other day and if, for some reason, we were ever in dire straits, we would start selling off our collection......all except my M1...love that old girl!). Just in the 6 months I've been collecting, I've not only found great deals on the guns I've bought but have also seen the value of them go up in every single case (I've got a few things that have doubled in price at least). There is always going to be an interest in history. There will always be collectors. We feel that although it won't makes us millionaires, our collection is a worthy investment not only for a cushion if needed but also preserving military history.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammersavage44 View Post
Glad this thread was created! Before I started collecting, my wife and I talked about the reasons for collecting (I collect WWII weaponry). Besides the historical value, we felt that it would be a good investment as well (we talked about it just the other day and if, for some reason, we were ever in dire straits, we would start selling off our collection......all except my M1...love that old girl!). Just in the 6 months I've been collecting, I've not only found great deals on the guns I've bought but have also seen the value of them go up in every single case (I've got a few things that have doubled in price at least). There is always going to be an interest in history. There will always be collectors. We feel that although it won't makes us millionaires, our collection is a worthy investment not only for a cushion if needed but also preserving military history.
This. Gold is currently down, what, $300 an ounce from this time last year? Meanwhile, all my guns have retained their value, if not gone up.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #37

Yes, gold is down. Quite a bit. But that's the time to buy. Pretty much everybody who knows anything is calling for MUCH higher gold prices in the fairly near future. When EVERYBODY is talking about it, wanting to buy, and the price is high, THAT is the time to get out.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1593 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 555

The value of guns will keep up with inflation. You will make a good profit here and there but most of the time all you have done is keep up with inflation. Buy guns to have fun. If a few end up being worth a lot of money you are blessed. Back in the early 80's you could buy a Colt Python for $180. Today you can buy a Colt Python for $600 to $800. I don't know how much a 1980 dollar is worth today but the value of the python is barely above inflation.

There has never been a time like right now where the value of guns have jumped like they have recently. The prices of guns and ammo have held pretty steady until 2000.

Some guns have went up in value recently. Take the Mosin nagant. Retailers are selling them for $30 more than last year. But they have a lot of overhead invested in selling those guns for that price. To be frank I wouldn't buy a Mosin Nagant at todays price. The price is too close to a Ruger American or a Savage Axis. For $135 it was worth taking a chance on a hex 91/30. If I couldn't make the gun shoot I could just refinish it and give it to my brother. He likes old guns for wall hangers. He never shoots them but he likes to look at them.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 09-02-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #39

Quote:
The value of guns will keep up with inflation.
Even if that's all you get, that's still pretty good nowadays. Just keeping up with inflation is better than a lot of investments, and at the worst, you aren't loosing any money.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post

Even if that's all you get, that's still pretty good nowadays. Just keeping up with inflation is better than a lot of investments, and at the worst, you aren't loosing any money.
Agreed, how many lost their asses on their 401k in 2009. I know I did