Guns as an investment? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Guns as an investment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 921

I thought there was a law that doesnt let you melt pennies and nickles.......

Quote:
By Barbara Hagenbaugh, USA TODAY 12/14/2006
WASHINGTON — People who melt pennies or nickels to profit from the jump in metals prices could face jail time and pay thousands of dollars in fines, according to new rules out Thursday.

Soaring metals prices mean that the value of the metal in pennies and nickels exceeds the face value of the coins. Based on current metals prices, the value of the metal in a nickel is now 6.99 cents, while the penny's metal is worth 1.12 cents, according to the U.S. Mint.

That has piqued concern among government officials that people will melt the coins to sell the metal, leading to potential shortages of pennies and nickels.

"The nation needs its coinage for commerce," U.S. Mint director Ed Moy said in a statement. "We don't want to see our pennies and nickels melted down so a few individuals can take advantage of the American taxpayer. Replacing these coins would be an enormous cost to taxpayers."

Under the new rules, it is illegal to melt pennies and nickels. It is also illegal to export the coins for melting. Travelers may legally carry up to $5 in 1- and 5-cent coins out of the USA or ship $100 of the coins abroad "for legitimate coinage and numismatic purposes."

Violators could spend up to five years in prison and pay as much as $10,000 in fines. Plus, the government will confiscate any coins or metal used in melting schemes.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 1822 Posts
Likes Given: 2012

When investing, diversification is the key to long term success.

Don't speculate that putting all or most of your money into one asset class will see you safely through any future scenario.

Any investment advisor, worth his salt, will tell you that you need to put aside 6 months worth of liquid assets first, to sustain you and your family through unforeseen circumstances.

Those assets may be different than the traditional money market/savings that many have become accustomed to, in our society.

Prepare for the short-term needs of your family first, before you invest for the long-term. But after you have assured, to the best of your ability, your families viability near-term, absolutely invest in assets that may not be liquid, but have excellent potential for long-term appreciation in value!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #13

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I didn't buy my guns for investment but even before the current scare they have trippled in value in most cases. WWII milsurps will dry up even more than now and be a far better investment over time. Ammo is also a good investment, Hoarders drive the market. Obama has done more to appreciate the value of guns than any other entity. If you are a seller thank him if you are a buyer, blame him.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 03-06-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Precious metals are a terrible investment. Especially at this time of inflated "values". If you took a one once gold coin to the grocery store and tried to use it to buy $1,600 worth of groceries, they would laugh you out of the store. Precious metals at their commodity "values" are not legal tender.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 1822 Posts
Likes Given: 2012

Anybody know the silver content in current one dollar, fifty cent, quarter and dime coins?

Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 264 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Zero.........

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #17

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
There maybe a better place then the C&R section. What you are missing is Rifles from WWII have a historic significance that makes them worth more then a modern rifle made by the same company. Mauser makes a Modern K98k. It will never be worth as much as a WWII K98k. Collectors drive the market. Why would anyone buy a Colt AR15 that is 15 years old when they can buy a new one? If you were talking Vietnam era, that would change things.

While I agree with what you say, a modern AR can still be a good investment.. the RRA I bought a year ago is going for more than twice what I paid because of the current market.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1753 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9667

Default " Bang" investments....

If you want to invest part of your money in guns, take a lesson from my dad's and my grandfather's generations. Right now, Mosin Nagant 91\30s and Nagant revolvers are DIRT cheap. A case of 91\30s would set you back about $15-2,000 , and the revolvers are going for about $125 each. Pick up a case of each, open the case, inspect them, leave them packed in the cosmoline, and store them for the next 50 to 60 years. Do not do to them what was done to most of the 1903 Springfields, the 1917 Enfields, and a lot of Mausers. Many of these rifles were Sporterized (Butchered is a much more fitting adjective!) which in the current collector's market made what were once $40 rifles, $200 hunting rifles instead of $1200 rifles. Many of the old milsurps were taken down, the military pieces cut up or thrown away, and modified to make big game rifles. This drove up the cost of the originals, and the unmodified junk that is still out there.

The latest milsurp that is getting sporterized? The Mosin Nagant. That's the reason why I have 2 MNs that are getting sporterized, and I have saved and packed away the military furniture and parts. I also have 5 91\30s, 2 M44s, and a type 53 that are still packed in the cosmoline in my collection. The wife and I also have 3 Nagant revolvers (1 shooter, 2 savers) as well. The plan is to keep these ones original, and see where the market goes over the next few decades. If all goes well, the values will go up a little. If enough people out there cut them up, the sky is the limit.

I have 2 pieces that were my grandfather's in my collection. One is a 1903 Springfield Mark I that he sporterized, and an Arisaka Type 99 that he did not. If he had not cut up the Springfield, it would be worth twice what the Arisaka is, and he did the modifications on the 1903 the right way, he just forgot to keep the old parts when he did it. Learn from his mistake. I did.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #19

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by fickenmeimirish View Post
While I agree with what you say, a modern AR can still be a good investment.. the RRA I bought a year ago is going for more than twice what I paid because of the current market.
But, once the bubble is over, it will be worth closer to 1/2 of its' current value.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2255 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 3521

Quote:
Precious metals are a terrible investment.
Not as a long term investment: Buy low and sell high. Started dabbling in the precious metal market in 1974. In 1980 the gold i bought for <$75 per ounce went to over $800 and i sold it. Sold some gold last year that cost $370 per ounce.

The market closed on 15 March at $1,592.90.

http://www.kitco.com/charts/livegold.html