Guns as an investment?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Guns as an investment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Default Guns as an investment?

Instead of investing in gold or silver would it be a better idea to invest in firearms and ammo? Silver and gold are just metal assets that can not be used there just there to look shiny and worth money. But firearms like lets say a colt ar15 brand new never shot kept in a safe can be used if needed but also would it be worth money lets say in 15 years? And im talking about modern firearms not relics from the 1800s or ww2 era so tell me what you all think whats your opinion?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

I think so and me and my husband have been doing just that for awhile now. It has been working for us but I am sure this type of investment isn't for everyone.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #3

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

If your going to invest in guns, you need to buy investment quality guns. A cheap gun is still a cheap gun.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

cottontop Likes This 
Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #4

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno13 View Post
If your going to invest in guns, you need to buy investment quality guns. A cheap gun is still a cheap gun.
Absolutely!! I love going to auctions for just that reason. I have had some good luck at the auctions

Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

An AR takes up alot more room and weighs alot more than a one ounce gold coin, even a high-relief collectors American Eagle...

eagle-2-compressed.jpg  

Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #6

Liked 734 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 761

There maybe a better place then the C&R section. What you are missing is Rifles from WWII have a historic significance that makes them worth more then a modern rifle made by the same company. Mauser makes a Modern K98k. It will never be worth as much as a WWII K98k. Collectors drive the market. Why would anyone buy a Colt AR15 that is 15 years old when they can buy a new one? If you were talking Vietnam era, that would change things.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

cottontop Likes This 
Old 03-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #7

Liked 92 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I like gold and silver because they are world wide currency. On the other hand, I have yet to buy a gun that is worth less now then what I paid for it. Both markets can change fast as we have just seen. Today it's a sellers market as far as guns go.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 03-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Gold, Silver, Guns & Ammo (plus food & water) are what interests me when investing in one's survival down the road (and beyond).

Old 03-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Then the Goverment

And a lot depends on what the Goverment does 10, 20, 30 years down the road. Who knows if you will even be able to sell your guns years from now. The so called "universal" background check will just be another step in that direction. All that being said, I still plan to keep buying guns and putting them in the vault and see what happens.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 03-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Good guns will hold or rise in value over time. But many times it's a you have to watch things and time sales at just the right time. I use dot buy a lot of hunting shotguns when there was no hunting going no and was not going to be for a while. A little before turkey season I could unload them and make a few bucks. Older guns with historic value might be a better investment but that market is really customer driven so it's hard to tell when/if you can get a good return on them.
It's not the most stable way to invest and the gains are usually not all that great. But you can make some money if you shop right. I lean more to things liek gold and silver though. Silver is still cheap enough that you can get a decent amount and sit on it and it will make more than you have in it in fairly short order. I lurk eBay and the like for what is listed as junk silver coins and OZ bullion. The collector value isn't there but you are getting decent weight They also in case of bad times will still work as currency. Old nickels are kind of cool too. Pre 64 coins are made of nickel and are worth their weight even if they are trashed. Ones minted form 1942 to 1945 (Wartime Silver Alloy) have a little silver but I don't think it's more than like 15%. I can't remember to tell the truth the actual percentage.

AS got gold...The stuff is worth it's weight ion gold! Nuff said there.

The big plus to the coins over things like guns is you wont get your coins used against you in a worst case scenario.

A little food for thought...All the pins on the bottom of computer processors have gold pins. I like to try and reclaim them when I'm trashing an old machine.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson