Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Gun Auctions. Where can you find?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Gun Auctions. Where can you find?

Figured all you C&R guys would know better than I. I was interested in looking at going to a couple auctions in the near future. At this point I only know of a couple online sources. Heard that you can occasionally find some nice stuff at the storage auctions but somehow I feel like that's so hit or miss. I'm looking for some rarer firearms and also maybe some fixer uppers. So the question is do you have any sources or techniques for finding auctions near you that might cater to the firearms? PM me if you'd rather not share industry secrets all over the place. ;-) thanks in advance.

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #2

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Most of the auctions that feature guns get final bids that are 2X higher than reasonable. Farm or estate auctions CAN be a different story. MHO

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Old 02-13-2013, 01:18 AM   #3

Liked 2351 Times on 1529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xring3
Most of the auctions that feature guns get final bids that are 2X higher than reasonable. Farm or estate auctions CAN be a different story. MHO
Pretty much what I've seen in the last ten years or so. Farm auctions aren't much better. Watch the paper.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 02-13-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

The most recent auction I went to (before election) a bare bones used 10/22 went for $220+buyers premium+background. And a very nice hi-power unfired, in original box, engraved went for $800+buyers premium+background. The 10/22 way to much, the hi-power out of my price range, but from what people that know, have told me, a steal.

Last edited by hmh; 02-13-2013 at 02:24 AM.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

Liked 176 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Try looking up a web site called "backpage.com" They exist as regional sites; for example, the one I use is called "tucsonbackpage.com" They list lots of firearms and related items in the "sports equpt" section. It is a lot like Craigslist, but with firearms. Most of the ads are from local people which makes it easy to see the items for yourself, and negotiate the deal face to face.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #6

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You may want to try pawn shops...not the chain ones but the independent shops....they are more receptive to making an offer....I have made some decent purchases and never pay the asking price...just a thought

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #7

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thanks everyone. Some decent info. I've checked out backpage before but it seems like in my area it's just the LGS's that post individual rifles and stuff they want to move. No real deals to be had.

I've thought about pawn shops but I always feel like I'm getting ripped off just by walking in one.

Figured estate sales would be good but you gotta get to those early.

Appreciate the insight though.

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 02-23-2013, 01:35 AM   #8

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Google Proxibid. They allow you to bid in many regional and national auctions over the internet. Their system is easy to use and they have good safeguards. Also google Gunrunner Auctions. They are similar to proxibid and have similar safeguards. I have used both and have no complaints.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Every time I go to an auction prices are more than the price of new. There are no pawn shops here, only licensed FFL dealers.
Some of the auctoneers buy up the firearms before an auction.

Last edited by crazycharlie2; 02-23-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoolddogs View Post
Google Proxibid. They allow you to bid in many regional and national auctions over the internet. Their system is easy to use and they have good safeguards. Also google Gunrunner Auctions. They are similar to proxibid and have similar safeguards. I have used both and have no complaints.
Proxibid is just a portal to other auctions. I know Rock Island Auctions use them for their big quarterly sales.

Armslist.com is a decent place, some prices are stupid high but occasionally you see something fairly priced, and even sometimes below market value. Estate sales used to be an ok source, but these days they've gotten stupid high as well. I've also seen some local auction houses have a few firearms go through them, but it seems like every moron who thinks he was born to be a gun dealer goes in there and pays 20% more than its worth. You really just have to stumble on a private seller liquidating a collection who'll take a lower amount for all at once these days.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr