grandfather's luger - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > grandfather's luger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 06:10 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You will have to leave the prefered load with me it's packed away in my reloading notes somewhere, I'm not being evasive frankly after being forced to break up a collection of 68 handguns, most of which where destroyed all my stuff relating to them where bunged in the at attic out of my sight, but I will try and dig it out.

I have Walters book in my library, I find it a bit of a 'coffee table' read, but I wouldn't say it was required reading for a collector, much prefer 'The Luger Pistol' by Fred A. Datig, or the watchword 'Lugers at Random', my preference is Datig because he knew the family, and it you haven't got the book I would urge you to acquire a copy it's by Borden Press.

As for 2Z (Mk11z) of which I am very familiar having humped quite a bit of it over the years, like all military 9mm para is designed for optimum use as you rightly stated in subguns, but it is also used in military pistols, thats all that was used in military GP35's in the British Army, and the German stuff was not that far behind. My son and myself where recently revovating a barn here in France and found hidden in the loft 8 Mk2 Sten magazines loaded with a mixture of British and German 9mm ammunition, together with documents and maps. We shot off the ammunition and the German stuff was almost as hairy as the British.....

WILDCAT: I appreciate your point but of the remaining 6 lugers that where damaged, American ammunition featured, together with S&B (very popular here). It is a matter of opinion, as good as a Luger is, and it is a very fine pistol well made in every respect some of them are close to 100 years old, and those thrown together at close of production from parts in 1942 by slave labour, deserve to be hand loaded for......Why bother to take a risk, even small when it is so easy the handload, and being cheaper?

As for your question concerning 7.63mm (30 Mauser) and 7.62mm (Type P), I have never shot them in other than weapons they where designed for, I do know they are interchangerable to a point there are slight differences, you can get a 7.62 to chamber in a Mauser C96, but you will experience stoppages. If I still had my Mausers (one time I had 5 models, went the same way as the Lugers) I would not be disposed to use the Soviet stuff.......

....and now gentlemen as I haven't mentioned the loss of these pistols in eight years as it brings me to the point of despair I am going to have a gin and sit quietly for a while............

Last edited by Boris; 09-14-2008 at 06:18 AM.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #22

Default Don't use it--

Take it out of the attic, coat it in vasoline, put it back in the rag and store it in a safe. Do not use it, or shoot it. Think of it as an investment. Anything you do to it will reduce it's value. I have seen too many of these screwed up by unknowing individuals.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrumble1 View Post
Take it out of the attic, coat it in vasoline, put it back in the rag and store it in a safe. Do not use it, or shoot it. Think of it as an investment. Anything you do to it will reduce it's value. I have seen too many of these screwed up by unknowing individuals.
Well.........In some ways your right but they are so nice to shoot, I really don't think an outing now and again would hurt. Having said that I was working in Malta a few years ago and I was on a range with a guy with a Rogers and Spencer purcussion revolver. It was worn out! The pistol came in an English fitted case with all the bits and pieces very nice and original. Retailed out of London. Then this guy told be that when he bought it the pistol was unfired and seemed proud of the abuse.....well the point of the parable is knowing where to draw the line.......

They are meant to be shot, just take care about what you are doing. But if you have a different view then greasing them up and bunging them in your safe, to be brought out for shooting at the black hats on the TV occasionally is OK too..........

Old 09-18-2008, 12:19 AM   #24

Deleted due to double posting

Last edited by beeman; 09-18-2008 at 12:21 AM. Reason: double post...

Old 09-18-2008, 12:20 AM   #25

[QUOTE=Boris;40503]

As for 2Z (Mk11z) of which I am very familiar having humped quite a bit of it over the years, like all military 9mm para is designed for optimum use as you rightly stated in subguns, but it is also used in military pistols, thats all that was used in military GP35's in the British Army, and the German stuff was not that far behind. My son and myself where recently revovating a barn here in France and found hidden in the loft 8 Mk2 Sten magazines loaded with a mixture of British and German 9mm ammunition, together with documents and maps. We shot off the ammunition and the German stuff was almost as hairy as the British.....
[QUOTE]

You recommend not using modern commercial ammunition that's loaded to original Parabellum specs in a well-maintained and functioning 60+ year-old Luger PO-8, citing safety concerns, yet you use 60+ year-old ammunition you found in a barn? Our standards of safety obviously do not coincide, particularly since you mention that both types of ammo were "hairy", whether that's a reference to hot loads or the condition of the ammo.. Not doubting your "find", but if I found 8 loaded Sten mags loaded with circa WW2 ammunition, they'd be keepsakes and show pieces, not to be used for plinking ammo.

As a rule, I never use anyone else's handloads unless I know for a fact they have the first hand expertise to produce quality, consistent and safe handrolled rounds. Also, found ammo, whether at the range, in the field, etc would never, ever be used by me. Only exception would be a life/death situation. Just my .02, but I am curious to see who else would follow my common sense. Ammo with xix decades of heat/cold and possible exposure to the elements...not my choice.

To each their own I suppose.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #26

Quote:

You recommend not using modern commercial ammunition that's loaded to original Parabellum specs in a well-maintained and functioning 60+ year-old Luger PO-8, citing safety concerns, yet you use 60+ year-old ammunition you found in a barn? Our standards of safety obviously do not coincide, particularly since you mention that both types of ammo were "hairy", whether that's a reference to hot loads or the condition of the ammo.. Not doubting your "find", but if I found 8 loaded Sten mags loaded with circa WW2 ammunition, they'd be keepsakes and show pieces, not to be used for plinking ammo.

As a rule, I never use anyone else's handloads unless I know for a fact they have the first hand expertise to produce quality, consistent and safe handrolled rounds. Also, found ammo, whether at the range, in the field, etc would never, ever be used by me. Only exception would be a life/death situation. Just my .02, but I am curious to see who else would follow my common sense. Ammo with xix decades of heat/cold and possible exposure to the elements...not my choice.

To each their own I suppose.
Beemam: Please read my post carefully I think you misunderstood. I didn't say that I shot this ammunition off through a pistol......how should I say this...I shot it through a suitable 'carbine' through which it was safe to do so. Frankly I didn't want a bunch of old corrossive ammunition laying about.

I think I should also better explain that where I live in Brittany during the war this was an extremely active resisitance area, with both major French resisitance groups, the Maquis and the Free French (both supported by SOE), in addition we are only a couple of hundred kilometres from the 'D' Day beaches, to find equipement, weapons and ammunition etc in old barns and out buildings is not unusual. Ammunition turns up all the time..........

Forgive my slang, 'hairy' in this context means, hot/scarey. Your comments on the use of handloads in my view are well justified and really should never be used unless you have loaded it yourself. Mistakes can be made by even the most profficient, although unlikely..............