grandfather's luger
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > grandfather's luger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default grandfather's luger

My grandfather is finally ready to give up his luger after storing it in an attic for 50 years and I'd like to take care of it and fix it up.

How could I remove the rust from the gun. also I would like to buy some bullets for the gun, what size round does the gun take (I don't have a gun permit, do you need one to buy bullets in NJ).

thanks for any help you guys can give me. I don't have the gun with me but if I do get it then I will post the serial number.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 AM   #2

Default is it a german luger???

as far as the rust????how bad is the rust???if i wanted to keep it you could have the whole pistol re-blued,but for selling it,s worth more un-touched.
bullets would be 9mm Luger,and i think they are still around??i dont think you have to have a permit to buy ammo,if you are of legal age-18-21 some states
i hope i helped

Old 01-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #3

Default Luger P08?

Can't help you with the legal whatfore, depending on the model the Luger P08 was manufactured in two calibres, 9mm Para (all military and the most likely) and the 7.65 Luger.

First job carefully remove the grips, side plate off and field strip, bung it in a bath of petrol and simmer for two days....no only joking just leave to to soak. If there is only light surface rusting use very fine wire wool and a light oil to remove the rust. Fluff is quite right if you have it refinished the collector value makes it almost worthless.

One important note do not, and I repeat do not, if the gun is a military P08 use factory modern 9mm rounds. They will fire but the pistol was designed in a gentler age and modern ammunition at some point may fracture the toggel linkage, with spectacular results.... Ure toward safety and use down loaded reloads..Good Luck

Old 01-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #4

Default P.S.

If you want to research the pistol, nip into a gunshow to a book counter and look up either 'Lugers at Random' or Fred A. Datig's book 'The Luger Pisol' (my favorite)......

Old 01-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #5

check here

Old 01-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #6

thanks everyone, I will post pictures of the gun when I get it, until then, thank you for clearing up some of the mysteries.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:39 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You may want to try Luger Forums, as folks there specialize in Lugers and can help you accomplish what you want without doing any irreparable damage.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 02-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

+1 on steel wool but, SPECIAL ATTENTION: Use only 0000 steel wool or brass wool. Use copious amounts of liquid such as gun cleaning solvent or VERY light oil. Rub gently. The rust you remove is more abrasive than the 0000 steel wool so the liquid is used to flush the rust away.
If the gun has Waffenampts, the little eagle proof marks the NAZI's used, PLEASE only wipe it off with an oil soaked rag. Take it to a TRUSTED collector. Get advise from them. Be prepared to get an offer to buy. Most hardcore collectors of Lugers and Walthers will want to buy it. It is a family heirloom and you should keep it. You should get advise from several collectors before attempting any sort of restoration to insure you did not finid the one crack pot out there.

Hold firm on not wanting to sell it. They may offer you a ridiculous price for it and refuse to answer questions after you refuse. I had a similar situation with my Grandfather's Walther PP. Collectors would say "AC code, Made at Walther factory, How much do you want for it? Oh its not for sale? go away."
Ive been offered over $1000 for it but still not for sale.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #9

Location: St.Peter Port.or St Malo France.or Portsmouth UK,Guernsey .. located in English Channel

All Lugers have good value,treat it with loving care,To remove surface rust use the finest 000 wire wool & plus gas oil or WD 40.you can rub quite hard to remove surface rust.remove grips as usually rust gets underneath & eats away at the grip frame.For full stripping ask at your local gun store for advice if you haven`t stripped one before. regards Kestral

Old 05-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #10

Default DANGER Will Robinson! DANGER! Old Luger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
All Lugers have good value,treat it with loving care,To remove surface rust use the finest 000 wire wool & plus gas oil or WD 40.you can rub quite hard to remove surface rust.remove grips as usually rust gets underneath & eats away at the grip frame.For full stripping ask at your local gun store for advice if you haven`t stripped one before. regards Kestral
AIEEEEE! Dont put WD-40 on any treasured gun, as residual WD-40 polymerizes into a lacquer like substance. I know many hunters who found their guns glued tight when they got their guns from storage when season begins. On my C & R E-list there widespread condemnation of WD-40
and C & R Guns

I have some reservations about removing rust. Yes, I would remove particulate rust, I prefer four ought with Ballistol or Kroil. I HAVE used 3 in one and kerosene but Ballistol works best for my old mausers and leaves a protective film

Ballistol kept a hurricane flooded toolbox full of Chinese tool free of rust

These old guns have another kind of rust, some call it patina, which is a general overall pretty brown color and I don't want to remove Patina on any old gun. The gentleman who suggested a good soak is following good technique and KROIL creeps into the tiniest voids, it is so good it kreeps under metal fouling in the the barrel.

Final comment, when you shoot the pistol, the 1" square plate on the left side of the pistol , if pressed, will fire the gun. I have never done it, but my mentor has.

yodar