Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Got a No1 Mk3! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/got-no1-mk3-101908/)

zaitsev44 12-23-2013 12:51 PM

Got a No1 Mk3!
 
7 Attachment(s)
I just bought a 1935 Lee Enfield Ishapore No1 MkIII on Gunboards Forums for $100 shipped. The downside, it's missing the nose cap, trigger and trigger guard, magazine, and safety. But I figured with the exception of the magazine, parts should total under $50 (magazine will be another $50, but I haven't checked ebay yet). The bore is actually pretty good for being an Indian rifle, the stock has repairs and some cracks, but they've been plugged with wooden dowels. The knocking piece has some pitting, but it shouldn't effect functionality. What do y'all think? All input is appreciated! Thanks!
Attachment 130472Attachment 130473Attachment 130474Attachment 130475Attachment 130476Attachment 130477Attachment 130478

zaitsev44 12-23-2013 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the bore. Attachment 130480

mountainman13 12-23-2013 01:00 PM

I bought one for $100. I tried everything and never managed to get the damn thing to eject. I had to use a dowel to bang the casing out after every shot. Other than that I loved the rifle. I gave it to an old ailing gunsmith as a project gift to keep him busy. I Hope you have better luck.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

c3shooter 12-23-2013 01:12 PM

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/489020.htm

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/488150.htm

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/488150.htm


gunpartscorp.com also has the safeties, and you will need the odd screw for the nosecap, trigger guard, pin for trigger, etc.

I WOULD have a smith check headspace before I put any money into the rifle. The bolt design resulted in gradually increasing headspace, which, if excessive, must be addressed, or you WILL rupture cartridge cases.

zaitsev44 12-23-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1465451)
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/489020.htm



https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/488150.htm



https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/488150.htm





gunpartscorp.com also has the safeties, and you will need the odd screw for the nosecap, trigger guard, pin for trigger, etc.



I WOULD have a smith check headspace before I put any money into the rifle. The bolt design resulted in gradually increasing headspace, which, if excessive, must be addressed, or you WILL rupture cartridge cases.


Thanks c3! I'll check the links out. I've seen that Apex has the trigger with the trigger guard for $14 and the nose cap for $14. The safety set (spring, screw, and safety) for $15 on either Numrich or buymilsurp. I'll check ebay for parts too, maybe I can find a magazine for under $40-50.

303tom 12-23-2013 02:11 PM

If you have`nt ordered any thing yet, I think I have an extra nose cap around here somewhere, I`ll let you know by the end of the day & you can have it !...............I think she will fix-up nice.

zaitsev44 12-23-2013 02:35 PM

Got a No1 Mk3!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 303tom (Post 1465474)
If you have`nt ordered any thing yet, I think I have an extra nose cap around here somewhere, I`ll let you know by the end of the day & you can have it !...............I think she will fix-up nice.


Great, thanks tom! I appreciate it. Also, can anyone tell me if that screw at the left side of the wrist is for the safety? IIRC there should be a small bar going from the screw to the safety assembly.

303tom 12-23-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaitsev44 (Post 1465481)
Great, thanks tom! I appreciate it. Also, can anyone tell me if that screw at the left side of the wrist is for the safety? IIRC there should be a small bar going from the screw to the safety assembly.

Yes it is !........

JWagner 12-23-2013 07:58 PM

It looks like you are off to a good start. I recommend checking multiple online sources for the stuff you need. Last week I searched for a spare magazine for my Ishapore. Ebay sold one for $103, while Numrich and E-sarco had them at $77 and $44. There can be a large differences in prices.

string1946 12-23-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaitsev44 (Post 1465437)
I just bought a 1935 Lee Enfield Ishapore No1 MkIII on Gunboards Forums for $100 shipped. The downside, it's missing the nose cap, trigger and trigger guard, magazine, and safety. But I figured with the exception of the magazine, parts should total under $50 (magazine will be another $50, but I haven't checked ebay yet). The bore is actually pretty good for being an Indian rifle, the stock has repairs and some cracks, but they've been plugged with wooden dowels. The knocking piece has some pitting, but it shouldn't effect functionality. What do y'all think? All input is appreciated! Thanks!
Attachment 130472Attachment 130473Attachment 130474Attachment 130475Attachment 130476Attachment 130477Attachment 130478

Very nice. I don't know very much about Enfields though I have 5 or 6 of them. I have a Ishapore 2A or 2A1 that is marked 1965. Nice rifles. I hope you find all the parts you need.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:49 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.