Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (
-   -   Got my C&R...Now what? (

Dr. Marneaus 06-04-2010 04:39 PM

Got my C&R...Now what?
I got my C&R a week or 2 ago, and have no real idea what to do with it.

I know not to sign the original, and I know what it entitles me to....

but I know nothing about the records I have to keep or anything that really goes along with it?

Is there a resource for this that I just haven't been able to find?

ScottG 06-04-2010 06:07 PM

BATFE tells you what you need. Also check out

Oh, and a full checking account or a large credit line.... :D

John sukey 06-04-2010 07:01 PM

You need to keep a record of everything you buy AND sell using your licence. Try Brownells for the record books. Unless you have lots of money, you will probably only need one.
Zerox the licence and sign the copies in INK for each purchase.

Unless you do a LOT of buying and selling, you will NEVER hear from the ATF, though they have the right to inspect your records by appointment.

Let my C&R licence lapse years ago after buying a few guns and selling one to a friend. Just don't have that kind of money anymore, plus subsequent purchases have been local. Still have the record book on file.

Mack Bolan 06-04-2010 07:59 PM


Buy, Baby, Buy!!!!:D

Dr. Marneaus 06-04-2010 09:45 PM

Speak of the devil. I got a fat envelope from BATFE today, with like 10 books and papers and cd roms and stuff. I guess I didnt know I had that coming.

Sweet, looks like I got some reading to do!

yodar 06-04-2010 09:52 PM

C & r

Originally Posted by Mack Bolan (Post 294801)

Buy, Baby, Buy!!!!:D

GET a copy (used 10th or 11th edition) of SMALL ARMS OF THE WORLD by W.H.B. Smith (NOT Ezell) for your EDUCATION ! about Military Firearms over history.

DON'T expect ANY preferential treatment at gun shows.

Subscribe to Shotgun news to gain a realistic picture of the market and to define your needs.

Keep a copy SGN in the "throne room:" to read while at worship.

COPY your C & R by e-mail to Midway and Graff & Sons and Brownells for discussants.

CARRY a folded copy of C & R for shows in case you need to SELL to another license holder.


TJB63 06-04-2010 11:53 PM

Take out a Second Mortgage on the House and Enjoy the Daily Visits by Brown.

A Good starter to test the waters is always a Mosin - Cheap and plentiful and let's you get your feet wet without breaking into the kids piggy bank, But beware they will multiply overnight.


c3shooter 06-05-2010 03:07 AM

You will need to maintain a "bound volume" of your "acquisitions and dispositions". You can buy one from Brownells, or several other sources, or go look at

Mine is a stitched journal book from local dollar store. Pages numbered, columns ruled off, shows make, model, caliber, SN, and name and address of who I got it from, or who I sent it to. Have a resealable envelope taped in the back- keep copy of any FFL I received in there. Separate pages for "in" and "out".

Send a copy to Numrich (discount for parts) and Southern Ohio Gun (not as good as they used to be, but sometimes they have goodies.

I keep 2 folded copies in my wallet- for targets of opportunity.

superc 06-05-2010 04:09 PM

No, the law doesn't require you to provide a signed FFL to your buyer, but it is a very nice courtesy. It has been multiple decades since I sold something, but I always collected a signed 473 from the buyer if they weren't an FFL holder (still have them stored) and used a firearms transaction receipt book too.

Now that you have your FFL, throw a paycheck or two away and also check out gunbroker . com. :)

gandog56 06-08-2010 11:25 PM

And also remember you can get discounts on supplies from Graf And Sons, Midway USA, Brownells, and Numrich if you send them a signed copy. Some C&R places will take emailed or faxed copies, some will still require you to send them a signed copy by snail mail first.

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:41 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.