Going to get an M1 Garand but which one?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Going to get an M1 Garand but which one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Default Going to get an M1 Garand but which one?

So I'm going to be getting a Garand from the CMP. After looking at what they have I have decided on either the service grade or the CMP Special. I would prefer to get the service grade as it has original parts but I want to know about how much accuracy could I expect from it? If it's within 4 MOA I would be happy but if it is much more than that I would prefer to pay more for the CMP special.

Thanks in advance.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #2

Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

IMHO, pay extra for the better rifle, you only regret it once.

If you get the less expensive one, you may be happy the moment

you make the deal, but regret it for years afterward.

But I'm given to understand CMP usually under-promises,

and over delivers. I've seen some fine Garands from CMP

which were purchased as "service grade".

Old 08-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #3

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have purchased field and service grade and have never been disappointed on ether grade. You will probably need to do some stock work on the field grade but nothing drastic. MHO

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Old 08-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #4

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

CMP Garands are no longer available. The last CMP bulletin said the inventory has been depleted.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #5

Well their website says they still have stock so I'm more inclined to believe that. Also on my main question would it be unreasonable to expect 4 moa from the service grad?

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #6

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
Well their website says they still have stock so I'm more inclined to believe that. Also on my main question would it be unreasonable to expect 4 moa from the service grad?
It all depends on the condition of the barrel. If you get a decent barrel on your M1 it should be capable of 3 MOA with US service ball.

I also just looked at the CMP site and some grades are sold out a Springfield M1's in general are not in stock IIRC. However they still have other makers in stock. But it may be a while before an order is processed. I believe it said they were back logged with 2000 orders.

Last edited by samnev; 08-05-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #7

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
IMHO, pay extra for the better rifle, you only regret it once.

If you get the less expensive one, you may be happy the moment

you make the deal, but regret it for years afterward.

But I'm given to understand CMP usually under-promises,

and over delivers. I've seen some fine Garands from CMP

which were purchased as "service grade".
I understand most people would want an m1 that has been refurbished and restored to ensure present and future reliability. If I ever get one, I don't want a brand new m1. I want one that looks like the guy just turned it back in after his enlistment period ended. I want one that has been through hell. I don't care what they have to do to it to make it safe to shoot from a internal and mechanical standpoint but leave the exterior alone.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #8

Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 66

CMP sent out an update on 26 July that said they have no guns to sell at this time. They do have lots of M1's still in crates that need to be opened up. Here is the first part of the message:

MANY M1 GARAND OPTIONS - SOLD OUT. As most of our customers and competitors know, this year has seen a nationwide unprecedented purchasing of firearms and ammunition. The panic buying, along with the increased popularity of the M1 Garand has impacted significantly on the CMP. Our store racks are bare and our M1 Garand ready to ship inventory of several grades and manufacturers has been wiped out and the waiting list (backorders) for some items exceeds 2,000 orders. As a result, we have stopped accepting orders for several grades and manufacturers. Please see http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm for additional information.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #9

Thanks for the info. The one I'm planning on getting is still in stock for now so no problem for me.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #10

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
CMP Garands are no longer available. The last CMP bulletin said the inventory has been depleted.
Wrong, you need to read the e-mail again. Most Garands sold out in Stores and some grades sold out mail order but still good grades Garands available mail order

To the OP, I suggest the $625 Service Grade and all the ammo you can afford