Gewehr 88/05 Kaboom?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Gewehr 88/05 Kaboom?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default Gewehr 88/05 Kaboom?

Hello,

The brass, dies and bullets (200grn soft-point 0.318") should be here today for my Gewehr 88/05.

Before I handload any caliber, I check the web and pick peoples' brains for failures of that caliber or the rifle I'll be reloading for.

I've found failures in Carcanos, Mosin-Nagants, 1911s, and a host of other rifles, shotguns and pistols, but I can't find a single one with regard to the m88/05 Commission Rifle.

I have found folks shooting modern surplus in the "S" marked ones, though it's not advised at all.

Though mine is S marked, it has a Czech barrel (I was told this from pics, anyway) that slugs to 0.310" by 0.316" or so (lead sinker, may be by 0.318").

Supposedly the S marked ones were opened up on the chamber end to swage down the new 0.323" projectiles.

Sill, I'm not risking it and am manufacturing the old style 7.92x57j instead of the 7.92x57js. Max speed will be around 2200fps.

Anyway, I see folks putting up numerous warnings about what to feed these rifles.

However, I with all the folks loading them light to heavy (and heavier than recommended), I'd expect to see a failure or two. I simply cannot find a single one.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #2

I have seen pics of 88s barrels and jackets ripped open right where left fingers would go. I have personally seen an 88 carbine bbl split from chamber on. Not sure what caused either one but would be careful and load low pressure. IMHO 8mm turk milsurp ammo was loaded with slighly oversize cases to allow for worn chambers. SOme, but not all, seems fairly stout stuff judging by recoil in my 03s, 05 carbines and 38s.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #3

Liked 795 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 898

When was the rifle made?

I found this in one of my books:
"Due to changes in bore diameter (.318 J vs. .323 JS)caution should be used in loading 8mm Mauser that has not been checked. No German Military rifles manufactured after 1905 use the .318 bore, but if any doubt exists, have the bore slugged."

Old 08-26-2011, 02:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
When was the rifle made?

I found this in one of my books:
"Due to changes in bore diameter (.318 J vs. .323 JS)caution should be used in loading 8mm Mauser that has not been checked. No German Military rifles manufactured after 1905 use the .318 bore, but if any doubt exists, have the bore slugged."
Hello,

It's an 1892. I slugged the bore and am using properly sized bullets.

Thanks!

Josh
Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Old 01-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #5

Hello,

I was wrong about the barrel and the slug size. After further research it cannot be a Czech as it's not stepped and after some shooting/cleaning it's slugging to 0.311x0.318 every time.

It is S-marked, which means a 0.323" chamber.

If I load a 0.323" bullet to 38kpsi or so, I'm thinking this would be safe. The barrel is, in effect, a squeeze-bore.

Can anyone verify/deny this?

Thanks,

Josh

Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #6

Liked 741 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
I have seen pics of 88s barrels and jackets ripped open right where left fingers would go. I have personally seen an 88 carbine bbl split from chamber on. Not sure what caused either one but would be careful and load low pressure. IMHO 8mm turk milsurp ammo was loaded with slighly oversize cases to allow for worn chambers. SOme, but not all, seems fairly stout stuff judging by recoil in my 03s, 05 carbines and 38s.
Please post a link that shows this. Something to support the statement.

BTW, Chambers don't wear, there can be throat erosion from ammo, but over sized?? If the ammo were to long, it would not chamber in a spec rifle.

I shoot, and have shot lots of Turk ammo. I'm working on a case of 1949 right now.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #7

Liked 741 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
Hello,

I was wrong about the barrel and the slug size. After further research it cannot be a Czech as it's not stepped and after some shooting/cleaning it's slugging to 0.311x0.318 every time.

It is S-marked, which means a 0.323" chamber.

If I load a 0.323" bullet to 38kpsi or so, I'm thinking this would be safe. The barrel is, in effect, a squeeze-bore.

Can anyone verify/deny this?

Thanks,

Josh
Start w/ cast lead gas checks and see what happens as far as accuracy. If it is "S" stamped it should be .322 minimum.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #8

I have seen S marked guns with 318 barrels.Just because it is marked does not mean someone hasn't put a 318 barrel on it at some point.

Dallas