Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > German Drilling Rifle Combo (with Pictures)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default German Drilling Rifle Combo (with Pictures)

So, this is what this section looks like. I haven't been in here much. Cool.

Anyways, the boss wanted us to see about posting some new, searchable, interesting threads that might be unique to FTF. I got to thinking that AR's are pretty common and I have enough of those posts. Why not share a little something that I inherited and give you guys a chance to learn about something you might not have known about previously?

So, my grandfather served in WWII and he was an avid, avid hunter and outdoorsman. He loved it and did it his whole life. While he was overseas in the European theater, he came across a few items that he either sent home or brought home with him and this is one of them.

This is a German, Made in Munich as stamped on the barrels, side by side shotgun with a center axis, under bore rifled barrel that I believe is chambered in 8x57JR ( or 8mm Mauser ).

This was apparently considered quite the field hunting gun at the time and was a highly sought piece of kit. As you can see, there is some elaborate engraving depicting scenes of elk or deer and some hillsides with mountain views.

Behind the standard slide lever to open the breach, is a two stage selector. In the rear position, the weapon is ready to fire the side by side shotguns, but with the forward flip of this selector, it raises a very small rear sight and the centerfire rifle is engaged to fire. It's pretty darn slick engineering if you ask me.

In the stock, which I assume is walnut, is a trap door that will hold 4 additional cartridges, for a total of 5, allowing the hunter to effectively put an end to any thing he hit once and for all.

So, there is a little piece of history that perhaps you did not know about prior to this thread. You can find a lot of information by hitting a search engine and entering "German Drilling Rifle" to further your knowledge if you wish.

JD

img_6440.jpg   img_6444.jpg   img_6450.jpg   img_6439.jpg   img_6451.jpg  

Last edited by Dillinger; 08-20-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Beautiful and interesting shotgun relic piece your Grandfather acquired there JD. You should indeed be proud!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-21-2010, 12:03 AM   #3

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

That is one effing sexy firearm JD

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

that is a really good looking gun, and the double barrel the the centerfire barrel undernieth is really cool

i know you probably dont want to get rid of it but do you know how much its valued at?

"It's not how big your stick is, it's how hard you swing it."

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?"

Old 08-21-2010, 02:43 AM   #5

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Thanks for sharing, that is a beautiful rifle/shotgun.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #6

Thanks guys. It's one from the collection that had some interesting history I knew nothing about until I was forced to ask "What is it?" to my gunsmith.

Redarrow - value ranges from $5K to maybe $10K depending who you talk to and what website you compare it to. There is a guy in Oregon that is a good customer of the shop who was interested in it, but his offer wasn't of interest to me.

I don't plan on selling it, I was just sharing.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

JD:

Well first of all welcome to the C&R section. We get to see lots of interesting weapons here!

Second, FINE Drilling. I have always had a hankering for one of those since I first saw a photo of one back when I was a youngster. My favorite toy store here in Houston as a few drillings in their inventory, but not one as nice as yours.

TXnorton

Old 08-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
JD:

Well first of all welcome to the C&R section. We get to see lots of interesting weapons here!

Second, FINE Drilling. I have always had a hankering for one of those since I first saw a photo of one back when I was a youngster. My favorite toy store here in Houston as a few drillings in their inventory, but not one as nice as yours.
Thanks TX. You said they have a few at your favorite place to shop? Are they popular in your parts, and that is why they have multiples? Or they have multiples because no one is buying them... LOL

Old 08-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

JD:

The drillings are not very common and are (for the most part) primarily collector pieces, and therefore the market for them is small. While I would not suggest that you ever sell it, you would have to deal it through a high-end firearms auction in order to reach the marketplace for such a firearm as the example you have.

Collectors Firearms Search "drilling"

My toy store (link above) has a few, but none are even close to being as nice as yours!

TXnorton

Old 08-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #10

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Very nice piece. Color case is still showing color, no buggered screws, engraving and finish look great. Be carefull of the trigger guard, as it looks to be made of horn, as most high-end trigger guards were. That is one that should be appraised, insured and kept in the family, IMHO..

Jim...........